• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY safety

Dextine

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone!

I’m a bit confused on these things.

Shiny paper
Cereal boxes seem to get a pass but megazines don’t.
What shiny papers are safe and what aren’t?

Ink
I’ve seen people make toys with phonebooks etc. Does that mean printed paper from my printer okay too?

Wood paint
I’ve found some big wooden beads, sadly they are coloured and glossy. If I sandpaper the paint off do you guys think it’ll be okay to use?

Treat amount
I own two lovebirds and love to have them forage for millet, they enjoy it alot too!

How much millet or other treats do you give your parrots every day?

Thanks guys :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Shiny paper from a cereal box has to be food safe, while the magazine doesn't. The ink in glossy magazines can be petroleum based.

Ink in phonebooks and newspapers is soy based. Laser printer toner is quite harmful if breathed in; inkjet printers may be safer but I haven't researched that one.

Wood painted beads might be safe if you sanded all the stuff off but that's a lot of work to ensure all of it is gone.

Treats should make up no more than 10% of the diet.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I wouldn't use any wooden beads that have actual paint on them period. Use only food grade colored wooden items, meaning they've been colored with food colorants such as what us bird toy makers here use.