• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY Play Stand

Dio

Meeting neighbors
Just wanted to share my DIY play stand I made for my 2 lovies Peep and Kiwi. I still need to wire wheel all of the bark off (should have done it before putting everything together but oh well) but I’m super happy with how it came out and am excited to see my little chickens play on this. FYI, this is made out of natural untreated birchwood so it’s all safe
E2EB30BE-5F1C-4E6E-BD39-8FECC7C24757.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Why do you need to get the bark off? All three of my birds love removing bark from safe tree branches

Dio

Meeting neighbors
Why do you need to get the bark off? All three of my birds love removing bark from safe tree branches
I was under the impression I had to take it all off, not sure why lol. If it’s safe for them, I guess I won’t take it all off just maybe scuff off some of the loose stuff and make it look a little cleaner

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I was under the impression I had to take it all off, not sure why lol. If it’s safe for them, I guess I won’t take it all off just maybe scuff off some of the loose stuff and make it look a little cleaner
I know many do remove it but I know all my birds would be so disappointed if they got given fresh branches with no bark- they love stripping the bark. I am not sure if there is a safety concern with the bark on the wood you have used so maybe double check with others but I am unaware of any tree with safe wood that has unsafe bark. Many remove it simply because it may have bugs.... Burt and Birdie love it if they find a bug to chase or investigate- I know none of the bugs they may encounter are a problem so I try to supply branches with the best amount of bark.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Love it! :swoon:

Reactions: Dio

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Wow, it is amazing! How did you connect the branches to the base:wideyed:

Reactions: Dio

Dio

Meeting neighbors
Wow, it is amazing! How did you connect the branches to the base:wideyed:
Thank you! I drilled and countersunk pilot holes on the base and screwed them in from under the base. Each branch has 2 screws to make sure they don't twist or turn