• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY help with making an indoor aviary

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone! It's been quite a while since I've been online but I was hoping I might get some advice or help in my next endeavor.

I have been considering buying an indoor walk-in aviary for my two Caique boys but the prices just keep skyrocketing. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong time of year? They were only $1600 earlier this year and now they're $2300 ?? Now I'm kicking myself not buying it before the price hike.

BUT I see a lot of pretty nice looking homemade aviaries out there too. And it would be nice to to have more control over dimensions. My main concern is I can't use wood because the boys would go to town destroying it. I found this link but the pics of their cages aren't loading, still the idea they present is very interesting. Using pet exercise pens as the walls is appealing so long as I can find good bar spacing. I rather like the idea of using pvc for some part of it since it would be indoors and I wouldn't have to worry about it rotting in the sun. Maybe it would work well as the main structure or framing since it's so versatile?

Thoughts or opinions on building an indoor aviary? I might just bite the bullet and buy a premade a&e type of aviary cage but I want to at least consider other options beforehand.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have u checked customcages.com ? They have super customizable stuff and u could get something pretty nice for around 1700-1900 depending on what u want

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
Have u checked customcages.com ? They have super customizable stuff and u could get something pretty nice for around 1700-1900 depending on what u want
I did happen upon their website during my search. Are they a reputable seller? I am always cautious when purchasing online unless it's a big name like amazon or something.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve heard that they’re good and reputable but I’ve never needed an aviary, but it’s always a good idea to read reviews and do further research on your own, I think we may have some members with aviaries from them but I can’t remember

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Wow! An aviary is definitely a dream for me! Good luck in your search! :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hi everyone! It's been quite a while since I've been online but I was hoping I might get some advice or help in my next endeavor.

I have been considering buying an indoor walk-in aviary for my two Caique boys but the prices just keep skyrocketing. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong time of year? They were only $1600 earlier this year and now they're $2300 ?? Now I'm kicking myself not buying it before the price hike.

BUT I see a lot of pretty nice looking homemade aviaries out there too. And it would be nice to to have more control over dimensions. My main concern is I can't use wood because the boys would go to town destroying it. I found this link but the pics of their cages aren't loading, still the idea they present is very interesting. Using pet exercise pens as the walls is appealing so long as I can find good bar spacing. I rather like the idea of using pvc for some part of it since it would be indoors and I wouldn't have to worry about it rotting in the sun. Maybe it would work well as the main structure or framing since it's so versatile?

Thoughts or opinions on building an indoor aviary? I might just bite the bullet and buy a premade a&e type of aviary cage but I want to at least consider other options beforehand.
If you want to build an indoor aviary you’re going to need some tools and know how. The most important thing is to find material with the right bar spacing. For big birds like mine it’s not as important but for smaller birds it is.

The link you posted is mine. I did not know it was dead. Here is the link

You can buy “pet panels”. Ready made powder coated panels you can assemble together however you want.

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
If you want to build an indoor aviary you’re going to need some tools and know how. The most important thing is to find material with the right bar spacing. For big birds like mine it’s not as important but for smaller birds it is.

The link you posted is mine. I did not know it was dead. Here is the link

You can buy “pet panels”. Ready made powder coated panels you can assemble together however you want.
Thank you for the pics and suggestion on pet panels. Your setup is amazing! I'm aiming for something like that for the caiques as well.

I found these for pet panels, do you think they would work? 'm thinking I'd use wire to secure them rather than plastic joints. The bar spacing is 1/2 inch. With Caiques I can go up to 1 inch but definitely no more than that so the pet playpen panels all look too big. I can't find any that are 1in or less.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
1/2" is fine. As I said it’s all in the spacing. There’s no such thing as too small. Too big is a problem.