• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY foraging toy

Anniebeth3

Moving in
Real Name
Bethany
So I made my GCC a foraging toy…. I wrapped some almond pear oats in a lettuce leaf and string it to her perch with a mask….. I’ve heard fabrics are bad wondering if the mask is a bad idea. I’m new to this and any advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldnt use a mask they are made of cotton and polypropylene and a potential hazzard for your bird

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The only time I would personally allow the use of a foraging toy made out of a disposable mask is if I was right there watching. There are so many reports of these masks being a serious hazard/death trap for wild birds so I’d be watching like a hawk so I could intervene as soon as there may be a tangle or chewing issue.

Safer to opt for the use of small cardboard boxes. I use many from our packaged foods for my birds to forage

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
In case anyone is wondering, for wild birds, the main danger from masks is entanglement/strangulation due to the ear loops or ingestion of indigestible fabrics/fibers.

Please be careful to dispose of masks safely and appropriately. Don't let them blow away or fall into water where they might harm wildlife.

Anniebeth3

Moving in
Real Name
Bethany
I made a little toy out of a little tea box (it was a rooibos tea so if the is any tea residue it’s caffeine free)