• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY cage/aviary materials

Pistachio

Meeting neighbors
I have a closet, or more of a large indent in the wall at my house. Im thinking about turning it into a small aviary split in half, one side for my cockatiel and the other for the two budgie boys. It doesn't have doors, so it will need some kind of covering over the front (mesh, chicken wire, etc.) Does anybody have suggjustions for safe products to use for this pourpose that wont be imidietly (or slowly) chewed through?

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I wouldn’t chance anything metal since you don’t know if the metal is toxic. How about something like the plastic screens used to cover windows?

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Yup. Used that to screen an indoor aviary for tiels and budgies and it worked great. It's sturdier than you might expect, though I wouldn't use it for anything with a bigger beak or more tendency to chew bars than a tiel. If I'm remembering correctly, @JLcribber also uses it on some of his cages, I believe?

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
Yup. Used that to screen an indoor aviary for tiels and budgies and it worked great. It's sturdier than you might expect, though I wouldn't use it for anything with a bigger beak or more tendency to chew bars than a tiel.
GCC too?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If you can find some stainless steel mesh that could work.