• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY Bird Cage

Doves4Life

Checking out the neighborhood
So I was looking at building a cage for some doves I’m looking to get and need some help to make sure it’s the safest it could be for ring neck doves. I know that if I’m going to use wiring you need to use stainless steal, so my question is do you know anywhere I can get this because on the Lowe’s website I can’t find anything or is there another safe alternative I could use. Also if I wanted a plexiglass front would this be safe for them? Thanks in advance for the help

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What size of cage are we talking about? Is this cage inside or outside? What is the structure made of?

From experience you won't want to use plexiglas. It won't take long and only a few cleanings before that plexiglas scratches and isn't very clear anymore. For that type of thing you need to go with real glass. Walls of glass are always a danger because they can't be seen unless they are disguised with something visual (fake bars. decals). Even if the bird is familiar with the environment it's still a danger. In a moment of panic/flight the bird will hit it.

Doves4Life

Mines going to be indoors and it’s going to be pretty large so if glass isn’t the best what type of wire did you use because I saw that stainless steel is the only way to go and was wondering if this is true and where to buy the wire mesh

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
We bought all our aviary wire mesh from Selco, the building supplies store, do you have any of them around? It was the best place for us, it was sold as aviary mesh came in a reasonable sized roll and was surprisingly cheap compared to other places and online!

As for the plexiglass, I wouldn't as you have a risk of them injuring themselves if they get stressed and bash into it. Best stick with just the mesh in my opinion.

Hope this helps

Doves4Life

to keep them in possibly yes but to keep predators out no they will rip that within hours esp hawks
The cage is going to be inside and I just don’t want them to get their heads stuck in anything...I’ve heard horror stories of bird in general being kept in wire mesh a little too big and birds get their heads stuck and panic which would not be good. They are only going to be spending nites and while I’m not home in the cage.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
THe answer then is to get finer wire mesh.

Personally I wouldn't use netting - too much risk that a bird could somehow get tangled up in it and it doesn't look like something that will last long without fraying, stretching etc.