• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY Aviary

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to start with a VERY large outdoor aviary? Has anyone used a carport to start with? Would you guys use mesh or stainless steel fencing? How much would just the mesh/wire cost? Where would I buy it? I thought the carport would be a good idea to just pit wire/mesh on to start with or is there something that would be better?

I have 2 ekkies, 2 budgies, and a lovebird. I haven't gotten my female ekkie yet but currently, the 4 I have are all fine together as long as they have their own space (still supervised of course.) We'll see how she does with them a couple of weeks after I get her. Would I have to worry about it rusting in winter? Is there anything we could use where we can collapse it and keep it in the garage till after winter?

I thought if I do end up making it very large I could half it and somehow maybe have some sort of gate/door in it where I can open it up if I want to let them have extra space or close it if I want them separated.

Does anyone know how much Corners Limited costs?

I'm sorry if this post is jumbled nonsense I just got home from work.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The biggest part of any outdoor aviary is the structure. If you’ve already got an existing structure I would definitely take advantage of that. All you have to do is skin it.

If you just want to skin it you will need a product that comes in decent sizes so it installs with as few seams as possible.

A product is made for doing just that kind of thing. The link I’m looking for isn’t working right now but this is similar. Comes in a variety of weights and spacings.

This stuff will last outside all year round but if you want to take it down you can make appropriate size cage panels covered with the same mesh that fasten together

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
The biggest part of any outdoor aviary is the structure. If you’ve already got an existing structure I would definitely take advantage of that. All you have to do is skin it.

If you just want to skin it you will need a product that comes in decent sizes so it installs with as few seams as possible.

A product is made for doing just that kind of thing. The link I’m looking for isn’t working right now but this is similar. Comes in a variety of weights and spacings.

This stuff will last outside all year round but if you want to take it down you can make appropriate size cage panels covered with the same mesh that fasten together
Thank you!

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to start with a VERY large outdoor aviary? Has anyone used a carport to start with? Would you guys use mesh or stainless steel fencing? How much would just the mesh/wire cost? Where would I buy it? I thought the carport would be a good idea to just pit wire/mesh on to start with or is there something that would be better?

Having smaller birds you need to use a wire that has smaller openings. Something like this:
Square - Wire Mesh - Stainless Steel - 38013500 | McNICHOLS�

I have 2 ekkies, 2 budgies, and a lovebird. I haven't gotten my female ekkie yet but currently, the 4 I have are all fine together as long as they have their own space (still supervised of course.) We'll see how she does with them a couple of weeks after I get her. Would I have to worry about it rusting in winter? Is there anything we could use where we can collapse it and keep it in the garage till after winter?

If you made a tube frame to attach the wire to you could than attach it to the carport & take it down in winter. I'd use 1"x1" aluminum tubing. Make frames & then attach them to each other & the car port.

We had a custom powder coat aviary, 6'Wx12'Lx 7'5H made years ago from Swelland's in CA. It has 2 doors. The guy made cages for zoos. Sadly he closed his business & retired. It came in panels. We used to take it down every winter, but because the panels are very heavy, a few years ago we poured a cement foundation (the inside area is grass) & we now let it up year around. It also has metal wire panels for the ceiling. We added a wood roof frame with metal roofing. The panels are held together with SS screws & there are metal clips screwed into the cement. An older photo when we had plastic roof & wood foundation:
Aviary1393.jpg
Our Umbrella Cockatoo, African Grey and B&G Macaw all spend all day in it in summer. The roof allows them to get out of the sun, where lower perches give them time in the sun. They also like to go to the ground & dig up the grass. We choose to keep the inside grass in case they'd fall.

If you google outdoor aviaries you'll find a few places that make them. They aren't cheap. I'd opt for a rectangle shape, as it allows more flight room & space for perches, swings, toys, etc.. Keep in mind the height, as you'll need to get them out of it, so you can take them back inside.

I thought if I do end up making it very large I could half it and somehow maybe have some sort of gate/door in it where I can open it up if I want to let them have extra space or close it if I want them separated.
Sure anything is possible depending on how handy you are with tools.

Does anyone know how much Corners Limited costs?
The cost would depend on size, type of metal wire & finish. You can call & get a quote. Keep in mind doors, dishes, etc., all add to the cost & shipping a large aviary would be sent freight on board & cost well over $500. You may also need to rent a lift to get it off the truck. We use wood perches, rope perches, orbs, boings, a large cargo net, screw on/twist off water dishes, hanging toys. We bought all those other places.

I'm sorry if this post is jumbled nonsense I just got home from work.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If you’re on Facebook, there’s a great DIY Aviaries group.