• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY: Another super cheap, super easy DIY ¨flower¨ toy

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
OK so similar to last time, but this time it is a hanging toy (last time was wall mounted. Here´s the link if anyone missed it: DIY flower shredder). This is for little beaks, maybe you could give it to a larger bird (without the clip) as a foot toy.

No money? No toys available?
Maybe you have these things and can make this 5 minute 5-min-flower-shredder..
I live where bird toys are sparse so I'm always looking for DIY toys and activity ideas so I want to share this for anyone in a country with no toys available or maybe you are broke the day before payday and you want to give the birds something new to play with for a short while.

This is probably the most simply DIY toy that I have ever made and you don't need much to do it.

It take 5 minutes to make and approx 5 minutes to destroy (slight exaggeration- probably 15, but it depends on each bird)
Keep in mind this is a little boredom buster, and it is made to be destroyed (and likely will be very quickly), so it is up to you how much time you invest on creating it.

Here is a picture of the finished toy, you can change lots of things using whatever you have available, or to mix things up a little.
You can add a foraging aspect to the toy by inserting treats into the egg carton pieces.
step1.jpg
step2.jpg step3.jpg

You will need;
-egg carton (7 egg holders)
-14 cupcake liners
-hemp/sisal twine or wire or a food skewer
-clip

Tools;
-scissors
-a poker
-possibly tweezers to help thread

step4.jpg

Optional extras;
-kitten ball
-beads
-colour food dye marker pens
-bell

You can make the top however you like using what you have, here are some ideas;
step5.jpg

Instructions;

Cut the egg carton into individual egg holders, keep 7, save the rest for another day/toy. Flatten the cupcake liners, pair them up and put the plain sides (the insides) together;
step6.jpg

Poke holes in the middle of the liners and the egg holders.

Tie the top knot. If you are going to use a pear link, you can make a little loop then thread it onto the clip. If you are using a lobster clip, tie the twine right onto the clip;
step7.jpg step8.jpg

Thread the toy together starting from the top to the bottom. If you are putting a ball or beads at the top, do that first. Then thread one pair of cupcake liners, then one egg holder, then one pair of cupcake liners, then one egg holder until you thread the last egg holder.

You must put the thing you want at the bottom on last. So if you want a bell or beads, add them. They are optional, you can tie the knot after the last egg holder if you want;
step9.jpg

To prove you can make this really basic, I made one with no beads or bell, just the paper/cardboard pieces, twine and a lobster clip.
stepl.jpg I will be giving this one away to somebirdy else :)

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I love this! I’m just not a creative person, so all my homemade “toys” are basically chewable a hung together. I am definitely going to make this one!

Thank you!:loveit:
I made a toy, and it's just a bunch of cardboard squares on a piece of twine. The squares are big at the bottom, and get smaller towards the top.

EDIT: Kiwi keeps trying to cheat and break the twine right at the top so the toy falls lol

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@JoJo&Loki :lol: This one is super easy, just alternating between cupcake liners and egg carton, easy peasy :)

I made a toy, and it's just a bunch of cardboard squares on a piece of twine. The squares are big at the bottom, and get smaller towards the top.

EDIT: Kiwi keeps trying to cheat and break the twine right at the top so the toy falls lol
You can always take the simple ideas and build on them, putting beads between the cardboard, or maybe some paper folded into a crinkle shape, or a jingly cat ball, or seagrass, you can even use parts from broken toys :)

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@JoJo&Loki :lol: This one is super easy, just alternating between cupcake liners and egg carton, easy peasy :)

You can always take the simple ideas and build on them, putting beads between the cardboard, or maybe some paper folded into a crinkle shape, or a jingly cat ball, or seagrass, you can even use parts from broken toys :)
I ordered a bunch of rattan balls from amazon, they're going to arrive on monday. Maybe I'll tread those between the card board pieces.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Zara , have you ever tried putting millet inside of a rattan ball? The idea just came to me and I thoght it would make a good foraging toy.

Sometimes I roll rattan balls for Kiwi and he chases them, he's like a little dog :lol:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Zara , have you ever tried putting millet inside of a rattan ball? The idea just came to me and I thoght it would make a good foraging toy.
:lol: No, but that would be fun :D

Sometimes I roll rattan balls for Kiwi and he chases them, he's like a little dog :lol:
My Adelie LOVES her ball! She like the cat balls with a bell inside, she will play with it for hours! When she is bored of it , she puts it in the water bowl for safe keeping :lol:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:lol: No, but that would be fun :D

My Adelie LOVES her ball! She like the cat balls with a bell inside, she will play with it for hours! When she is bored of it , she puts it in the water bowl for safe keeping :lol:
Here's a vidio of Kiwi with his favorite star (now destroyed RIP star):

He loves to try and grab it with his foot, but it usually results in a star stranded on the floor :lol:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is fabulous! I might make one of these later! I am a compulsive cupcake liner buyer, but I so rarely make cupcakes so I always have way too many!

Persephone

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Samia
I know this was posted a long time ago, but I just wanted to say thank you for posting this. I finally got around to making one of these today, and Sherlock absolutely loves it! More so than some of the expensive toys I’ve bought him over the years, which is typical. I cut a couple of the cardboard pieces a bit too wonky on one side, but using the resulting gap to fill the ‘cup’ with seed seems to have gone down well! Such a great idea for a toy!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
These are so pretty and economical!!! :bounce4: