• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dive bombing other bird...

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting so hopefully I am doing this right...
I am currently finalising the adoption of my female foster Indian Ringneck, Siren. She's a beautiful bird with an unknown background and age. She's missing a toe and was a un-microchipped lost and found that no one claimed at the shelter for several months. Anyways, she's only been with me a couple of weeks but recently she's been dive bombing my other rescue bird (2-3 year old male Cockatiel, Griffin). She chases him off whenever he comes near her or myself. How can I discourage this jealous behaviour? They are both currently fed Tops pellets and fresh chop and has about 10 hours of sleep a night, plus lots of out of cage time, toys and enrichment. She seems hormonal too, gets very flirty when getting scratches (I only scratch her head). I'm located in Australia and it's spring time here so that may be contributing. Can anyone recommend any food, supplements, environmental changes etc I can make to help them tolerate each other more?

Thank you :tiel5::irngf1::hug2:

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
For hormonal I think it will help to do 12-14 hours of sleep each night, not feed mushy foods and change the cage set up frequently.

Have you tried teaching her that good things come when she’s calm around the tiel? Eg: when she’s near the tiel and not dive bombing she gets a treat but when she doesn’t dive bomb him she gets a time out?

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
I'll try putting her to bed earlier. She has been having a lot of fruit at the moment so I'll cut back on high energy food too. Yes, we've been working on that besides the time out as I don't want her to think of her cage as a bad place. She'll be getting a new, bigger cage soon so that will be good too. She's only been here 2 weeks so she still needs to settle in... I am just a worrywart lol

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have heard that some IRNs prefer their own space and don´t always play nice with other species. So it may just be that.

I´ll tag some people with more knowledge ;)
@cassiesdad @fashionfobie

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe thank you for adopting an IRN! They are special little birds.

Female IRN can be very territorial of nests. I think it sounds like hormones too. I wouldn't allow Griffin out with her for the time being. It will be a pain to make time for each bird, but it is a better than Griffin getting hurt.

What is her cage like? Is there anything she can think of as a nest? Remove any mirrors if you have them, they are far too stimulating.

How long has she been around Griffin? It could take some time for them to get more comfortable with each other.

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
We have only had her two weeks, so she's definitely still settling in! Her cage isn't that great at the moment as she is in Griffin's old one but she'll be getting a much bigger and better cage soon! No mirrors or nests, just lots of foraging toys and a bell at present and I try to rotate the toys. She's definitely still settling in. I'll try to give them one on one time without the other. Griffin often spends time with my partner in the study so at least they both don't need to be locked up. I hate keeping them in the cage when I am home :sad5:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh yeah I totally understand! I want my birdos out as much as possible. It is great that you have a few locations in your home. Since it has only been a few weeks, I am starting think it may not be hormones as much as stress. Birds take sometime to adjust. Sadly you may find that Griffin and Siren never get along. It would be no fault of theirs. Birds have preferences like people do. Even if they were all the same species, it is possible they will be unresolvable tensions.

I would give it time. Take is slower.

Did you give Siren a quarantine period? I normally do 4 weeks as a minimum. You don't want her to bring any illnesses to Griffin.

In the short term, keep giving them plenty of out of the cage time, away from each other. Maybe when you improve Siren's cage things will change.

Last edited:

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update and say that Siren has been with us 3 weeks now and seems to have settled in a lot better... She is no longer divebombing Griffy! They just seem to ignore each other which is fine by me. They have their own separate playstands/areas on the other side of the apartment which they seem to favour. I have also figured out which toys Siren likes best (bells, foraging puzzles and foot toys!) and have stocked up on heaps to keep her busy. Griffin prefers shredding toys. They have been keeping busy and seem to have accepted each others presence now. They have also been going to bed a bit earlier which has helped. Thanks everyone for your advice.

:tiel:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Was going to say that if you are still having issues, then station training may help! Although from how you worded your post, it makes it sound like Griffin is the "instigator", not Siren.

Great that things are working out! Siren is, or was, probably stressed about being in a new environment and not being comfortable.