• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Dislocated beak??

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
Im inquiring on behalf of my mom - she has a green cheek conure that when she came home, he can't close his beak and seems to be in a bit of pain. There isn't a vet available until friday. any ideas of what this could be?? I don't think he can eat or drink either - is there a way to help in the meantime??
IMG_8164.jpg IMG_0301.jpg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh gosh poor little one. I'd really urge you to find an emergency vet asap. If he can't eat or drink he'll get weaker and more fragile. Especially with his beak being injured I'd advise against trying to syringe feed or water him since it could cause even more pain and issues.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Has the vet been told it can not eat and drink? I would hope they would squeeze you in asap if the bird can not eat and drink.
How long has it been like this? Any idea what may have happened?

I have two thoughts in mind but I am honestly unsure how likely either is since I believe both are quite uncommon. I suggest you really push the vet to get you in earlier or find another vet.

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
gotcha - we've called so many vets but its so hard to find avian vets that are available. the two vets even remotely in the area aren't available until friday. can he go that long without eating??

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
They have quite fast metabolisms so they can not go long without food and water. They do not have quite the same fat reserves we have. I travel over 2 hrs one way for my vet- travel if you have to. Pain and hunger are horrible things to endure for any length of time and the less strength your bird has the harder it will be for it to endure and recover from a medical emergency.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
gotcha - we've called so many vets but its so hard to find avian vets that are available. the two vets even remotely in the area aren't available until friday. can he go that long without eating??
He unfortunately can't,especially for an exotic they have a much higher metabolism and need to eat a lot and frequently to stay strong and healthy

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
okay I think she found one two hours away so she's going to go. I honestly have no idea what happened it could have been anything. my best guess is something happened with him and the yellow naped amazon she has.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
okay I think she found one two hours away so she's going to go. I honestly have no idea what happened it could have been anything. my best guess is something happened with him and the yellow naped amazon she has.
I'm so glad she found a vet. I had wondered if he could have been injured by another parrot since that's one of the most common ways that beak injuries seem to happen especially to smaller species. Greenies think they can take on the world and that they are the size of lions no matter the species they square off with.
Please keep us updated I wish him the best of luck.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh now you mention a larger parrot I am especially glad she has found a vet to take this little one to asap.

Hopefully it is not a bad injury and it can be sorted out fairly easily for your little cutie.

Please keep us updated on the outcome.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Any update on this little one?