• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Disinfecting a Used Bird Cage

StarTrick

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Zoe
Hi there, I'm picking up a used decent sized cage for my ekkie tomorrow - the original owner of the cage had a blue and gold macaw who unfortunately passed away due to circumstances unrelated to health, according to the seller. I don't want to use bleach due to the affect it has on the wildlife here, I don't have an enclosed space to wash it and would much rather use vinegar and water, and then wash it with a power washer. I do live in Australia, so PBFD is very prevalent here. I highly highly doubt this bird had it, but y'all are probably going to tell me that I can never be too safe (and since it's outside, other birds...? even though it's under a roof). I don't have access to F10 right now. Would a vinegar solution be affective? I've seen a few suggestions for it on other threads similar to this but mostly everyone just said bleach. Thanks! 236523281_4498980216830883_8409792872656051524_n.jpg

StarTrick

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Zoe
(I've just looked it up more, I could order F10 but it wouldn't be here for quite a while and I'd have no clue where to keep my parrot in the meantime, as it would have to sit under some tarps with no walls unless it could use the current space he hangs out in during the day... our living predicaments are a little complicated, living in the Australian bush right now... ruffing it out :p in somewhat luxury) But yeah, I'd be too worried about infection for if something was on there.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you blast that thing with a pressure washer it will be clean as a whistle. All that’s needed IMO.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

ferretspy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Myah
pressure washing and then doing a wipe down with a water vinegar solution should do the trick! if you're worried about not getting everything with those, either try a bird-safe cage cleaner or try using a steam cleaner! since water vapour aka steam is super hot, it kills and sanitizes any bacteria it comes in contact with. and since it's a metal cage, no harm should be done to the cage with proper research and prep/handing techniques.
if you decide to steam clean the cage, make sure no other animals or pets are around that could come in contact with the cage after steaming. the metal will heat up (i'm unsure how fast it will heat up or how high the temperature will be) and be very hot, which can give you or any other critters some nasty burns.
if you decide to steam clean, please do it safely! :)