• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Disinfectaning branches bought from petstore no f10

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
So I'm planning on buying some branches from the petshop near me and was wondering what's the best way to disinfect them if I dont have f10 would soap and water work. I have a bird safe disinfectant that I could use but it has detergent but I could rinse it well after any suggestions appreciated.

Mantis64

Surely coming from a pet store it is already cleaned and ready for use?
I mean they have birds there and other people can touch the branches which is why I wanted to clean them before I just used to use water but now I know about certain bird diseases can last on surfaces for a long time.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I mean they have birds there and other people can touch the branches which is why I wanted to clean them before I just used to use water but now I know about certain bird diseases can last on surfaces for a long time.
If last time you just used water and you and your bird are fine, why need to find a different way? Also, the chances of any animals in the shop coming into contact with the branches are very slim.

At my local pet shop, the animals are situated in an indoor area with the toys and supplies etc. To get to branches and things, you have to do through a set of sliding doors to a greenhouse-like structure. There you get branches and bark.

How does your pet shop compare? If you are really really worried there are places online dedicated to just wood for pets and events. They would definitely not have come into contact with any birds.

I personally don't see what you are worried about. Your bird was fine last time, why wouldn't he be this time? As a summary, you will be fine. The branches are made for birds. They will not sell branches taken from places that would use chemicals or anything anyway, just like no animals will have touched the branches.

2m is the approximate maximum distance most viruses can travel, so if the branches are further than that from the birds, your even better off than before! I (before the virus) went to my local pet shop at least once every two weeks if not more. They have birds and I would often go to see them and the reptiles up close. I have done this without fail before and since I got my birds and they are perfectly fine after nearly 5 years.

clarousel

You could boil it if it fits in a pot. I think I've read of people baking them in the oven?

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Yes, baking is a good way to kill bacteria. I don't know what you go to stop it setting on tire fire though:sour:

clarousel

Yes, baking is a good way to kill bacteria. I don't know what you go to stop it setting on tire fire though:sour:
True that's why I didn't try! Boiling is always a good way I feel - I do that for wood I use in my tanks.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
True that's why I didn't try! Boiling is always a good way I feel - I do that for wood I use in my tanks.
Oooo fishies! Can you post a thread in the fishy section with all your tanks? I would love to see!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't know what you go to stop it setting on tire fire though:sour:
Branches are baked at a low temperature.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Wash down with Dawn/Fairy dish soap, rinse well, then in the oven for an hour at 90°C (225F).

Last edited:

Mantis64

@Ali they are more than 2 meters away from the birds they have an enclosed aviary area. So I will just rinse them as I got the branches near the back that where hanging there.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
You would have been fine anyway I think.

Interesting facts...

The barriers around animal enclosures (the second barrier, closest to the visitors) are actually to stop the spread of viruses from humans to animals. They are a set distance that if either humans or animals sneeze or cough, the person or animal on the other side will be fine!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wash down with Dawn/Fairy dish soap, rinse well, then in the oven for an hour at 90°C (225F).
Best way to clean the branches. You can also get a tree identification book and go on a walk to identify the trees near you. Then after a wind storm its fun to pick up branches from safe trees that are fresh fallen. I did this many times and after cleaning cut them to size and put in the cage by using zip ties. (small birds only).

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I always disinfect anything that I buy from a store in which live birds are sold or displayed, just as I would if I were to buy something at a bird fair. Animals sold in pet shops are not always in the greatest health, as they by and large come from large factory breeding operations, and plenty of people have bought animals from these stores and had them die or fall supremely ill shortly afterward.
Honestly, any time I go to the pet store to buy something, I spray myself down with F10 before I even go in my house. It's (probably) overkill, but I have many animals of many species and I don't like taking risks.

As others have said, baking at a low temperature or a bleach dilution will work fine to disinfect a branch. :)

ETA: what's the bird-safe disinfectant you have now?

Mantis64

I always disinfect anything that I buy from a store in which live birds are sold or displayed, just as I would if I were to buy something at a bird fair. Animals sold in pet shops are not always in the greatest health, as they by and large come from large factory breeding operations, and plenty of people have bought animals from these stores and had them die or fall supremely ill shortly afterward.
Honestly, any time I go to the pet store to buy something, I spray myself down with F10 before I even go in my house. It's (probably) overkill, but I have many animals of many species and I don't like taking risks.

As others have said, baking at a low temperature or a bleach dilution will work fine to disinfect a branch. :)

ETA: what's the bird-safe disinfectant you have now?
The petstore I got them from spealise in birds and there birds are really healthy but obviously it's always a risk.

scott199

Walking the driveway
If your worried, why not get some F10 and be sure ?

regardless of the shop, I always F10 new stuff before the bird goes near it, even the best kept shop could have unknown people/animals with something.