• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Discussion about rehoming

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Long thread, I apologize.

Last night, my boyfriend was obviously upset while we were spending time together, and when I asked him about what was bothering him, he admitted he wasn't sure if he was able to give the boys what they need anymore.

He says he isn't finding the enjoyment in it now that Baby is primarily focused on Russet. He says it is just taking care of them now; they are a commitment with no companionship.

Plus, the boys are becoming increasingly difficult to keep happy. I suggest setting up foraging, new toys, and giving them more time out, and my boyfriend does that for them. The boys get foraging to do, they get hours out of the cage to fly around the living room, and they even get time to themselves with toys and places to perch in the bathroom every single day. But still, it feels like they need more than my boyfriend can give them. He tries to keep them happy and entertained, but it feels like the birds get fixated on certain things a lot. Wherever we put them, whatever we set up for them, they just do not stay entertained (and they scream to let us know).

There are ways we can potentially improve their lives like buying larger cages. But I feel like every improvement we've been making so far, they just end up becoming unhappy with faster than we can keep up.

As for the past, my boyfriend got Baby when he was a teenager without doing much research, and didn't fully grasp the commitment level of keeping a bird. When we moved in together, I helped him learn more about their care, and he was more than willing to make improvements. Still, Baby was unhappy a lot of the time (did not play with toys, never wanted to be alone, etc.) so my boyfriend decided to add Russet to the flock to help Baby feel less alone. Neither of us expected what is happening now. They seem to build off each other's energy and all they want to do is explore farther than we can let them.

My boyfriend feels complicated towards the decision to add Russet. It felt necessary for Baby's happiness, but now there is a feeling of regret and missing how Baby used to be with him. He knows it is impossible now to separate them, so either we have them both or neither of them.

It's a hard thing to think about, and a hard thing to talk about. But I wanted to bring it up here because I feel that there are a lot of great people on this forum who have a valuable amount of experience with keeping these guys.

At what point do you consider rehoming?

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Long thread, I apologize.

Last night, my boyfriend was obviously upset while we were spending time together, and when I asked him about what was bothering him, he admitted he wasn't sure if he was able to give the boys what they need anymore.

He says he isn't finding the enjoyment in it now that Baby is primarily focused on Russet. He says it is just taking care of them now; they are a commitment with no companionship.

Plus, the boys are becoming increasingly difficult to keep happy. I suggest setting up foraging, new toys, and giving them more time out, and my boyfriend does that for them. The boys get foraging to do, they get hours out of the cage to fly around the living room, and they even get time to themselves with toys and places to perch in the bathroom every single day. But still, it feels like they need more than my boyfriend can give them. He tries to keep them happy and entertained, but it feels like the birds get fixated on certain things a lot. Wherever we put them, whatever we set up for them, they just do not stay entertained (and they scream to let us know).

There are ways we can potentially improve their lives like buying larger cages. But I feel like every improvement we've been making so far, they just end up becoming unhappy with faster than we can keep up.

As for the past, my boyfriend got Baby when he was a teenager without doing much research, and didn't fully grasp the commitment level of keeping a bird. When we moved in together, I helped him learn more about their care, and he was more than willing to make improvements. Still, Baby was unhappy a lot of the time (did not play with toys, never wanted to be alone, etc.) so my boyfriend decided to add Russet to the flock to help Baby feel less alone. Neither of us expected what is happening now. They seem to build off each other's energy and all they want to do is explore farther than we can let them.

My boyfriend feels complicated towards the decision to add Russet. It felt necessary for Baby's happiness, but now there is a feeling of regret and missing how Baby used to be with him. He knows it is impossible now to separate them, so either we have them both or neither of them.

It's a hard thing to think about, and a hard thing to talk about. But I wanted to bring it up here because I feel that there are a lot of great people on this forum who have a valuable amount of experience with keeping these guys.

At what point do you consider rehoming?
Well, it sounds like they have a great home. There are so many poor birdies looking for loving homes and may never find them. Your birds are lucky. There are few bird owners that can do better. What we expect from our pets can be a complicated subject. But to be vague, it sounds more like a problem with the humans, which is valid. How come ya'll can't separate them, are they too bonded? Maybe he could spend some one-on-one time with Baby.
This is just IMO. I can relate, but I see so may birds being rehomed. They just don't have any value. Your birds do. You may think they are unhappy, but take a second look.

elitys

Real Name
Elise
How come ya'll can't separate them, are they too bonded? Maybe he could spend some one-on-one time with Baby.
I mean, we could separate them, they just like each other a lot so it wouldn't be fair. They never want one on one time with humans lol. If they are even out of sight for a moment, they flock call like mad. My boyfriend tries to spend one on one time with Baby, and it usually ends up with Baby flying to Russet, or Baby being aggressive towards my boyfriend.

Well, it sounds like they have a great home. There are so many poor birdies looking for loving homes and may never find them. Your birds are lucky. There are few bird owners that can do better.
That's another part of the issue. Many people would do a worse job than we do, but even what we're doing doesn't seem like enough.

But to be vague, it sounds more like a problem with the humans, which is valid.
I think it most definitely is a human problem. They're birds, after all, i don't think any of it is "their fault." My boyfriend wasn't prepared for how one-sided the relationship would become by introducing Russet. Now that Baby has no interest in him and they are becoming more demanding by the day, my boyfriend is questioning if it's worth it.

I should mention as well that I say "we" a lot, but these birds are my boyfriend's technically. Their demands for money, time, and energy ultimately fall into him and he's having trouble with them constantly needing more than he can give (and not really getting much out of the relationship in return because of their disinterest in humans).

I don't know. I feel strange about it. He spends so much time trying to make these birds happy and there is no gratification after all that work. They just want more time out, more places to explore, and nothing to do with the people in the house. So I understand him considering rehoming. At the same time, there are few better places for them.

Ugh. Sometimes I feel like some birds really aren't meant to be pets. (Not suggesting that I'm going to release them or anything. Just lamenting about humans being selfish and deciding to make certain animals pets that we can't reasonably provide for within our human lives. Sigh.)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Why don't you and your boyfriend start teaching the 'tiels other ways of interacting with you? You could start off by teaching them something simple at first, like target training.

Target training is such fun! You'd need to find something that each of them would work for first (the reinforcer). Do they each have a favourite treat? Doing some training using positive reinforcement will open up a whole new way of communicating between you. Plus you guys also become paired with the reinforcer (treat, if that is what you are using) so that Baby and Russet not only look forward to their training sessions, but also look forward to you both being around.

After they learn target training... the IF I touch the end of that chopstick, THEN I get a yummy treat!... you can use the same principle to teach them anything from turning circles to stationing, etc, etc. Here is a great video to show you how to target train:

elitys

Real Name
Elise
Why don't you and your boyfriend start teaching the 'tiels other ways of interacting with you? You could start off by teaching them something simple at first, like target training.

Target training is such fun! You'd need to find something that each of them would work for first (the reinforcer). Do they each have a favourite treat? Doing some training using positive reinforcement will open up a whole new way of communicating between you. Plus you guys also become paired with the reinforcer (treat, if that is what you are using) so that Baby and Russet not only look forward to their training sessions, but also look forward to you both being around.

After they learn target training... the IF I touch the end of that chopstick, THEN I get a yummy treat!... you can use the same principle to teach them anything from turning circles to stationing, etc, etc. Here is a great video to show you how to target train:

Yeah, I've done target training with Poppy before. And we have worked on training with the boys as well. Baby will do it for a little while, but Russet doesn't seem to have any patience for it. He doesn't seem very food motivated (we've tried oat groats, millet, safflower, sunflower, and other treats) and I'm not sure what else he'd be motivated by since he doesn't care much about attention. Russet usually will just fly away to go chew something up or explore when we try training. He is a very distracted bird and always wants to go, go, go. And where Russet goes, Baby wants to follow, so training them individually is nearly impossible.

My boyfriend knows a lot of the right stuff to do (mostly because of the information I've shared with him) but to be honest, I don't know if that's really the problem. I guess he's just having a hard time finding the enjoyment in taking care of them.

I may ask him to make an account here and post his own thread. I don't want to speak for him too much, and he would be able to share his thoughts on the matter better.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I mean, we could separate them, they just like each other a lot so it wouldn't be fair. They never want one on one time with humans lol. If they are even out of sight for a moment, they flock call like mad. My boyfriend tries to spend one on one time with Baby, and it usually ends up with Baby flying to Russet, or Baby being aggressive towards my boyfriend.

That's another part of the issue. Many people would do a worse job than we do, but even what we're doing doesn't seem like enough.

I think it most definitely is a human problem. They're birds, after all, i don't think any of it is "their fault." My boyfriend wasn't prepared for how one-sided the relationship would become by introducing Russet. Now that Baby has no interest in him and they are becoming more demanding by the day, my boyfriend is questioning if it's worth it.

I should mention as well that I say "we" a lot, but these birds are my boyfriend's technically. Their demands for money, time, and energy ultimately fall into him and he's having trouble with them constantly needing more than he can give (and not really getting much out of the relationship in return because of their disinterest in humans).

I don't know. I feel strange about it. He spends so much time trying to make these birds happy and there is no gratification after all that work. They just want more time out, more places to explore, and nothing to do with the people in the house. So I understand him considering rehoming. At the same time, there are few better places for them.

Ugh. Sometimes I feel like some birds really aren't meant to be pets. (Not suggesting that I'm going to release them or anything. Just lamenting about humans being selfish and deciding to make certain animals pets that we can't reasonably provide for within our human lives. Sigh.)
I get it. Some birds don't want to be pets. My local bird store told me this and I believe it. I know from my cockatiel, who is forever hormonal and loves to scream, but he doesn't care for me. But he's my hormonal scream bird. And I know it's difficult, some days there is no reward. But at what point does rehoming become the best option for them?

I think instead of rehoming, try to find some solutions first. Maybe try separating them. I know it's not perfect, but if them being together results in a new home maybe he can work something out... Maybe even rehome Russell. ( I am not well-read on pairs of birds, so I don't know if I'd be worth it). I'm not trying to give you a hard time, some things just aren't meant to be.:hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If they are bonded, I wouldn't separate them. Even at the rescue I help with, they won't separate bonded pairs. Including odd ball pairs- like they just adopted out together a lovie and a conure who were bonded. They won't pair them that way but if they come in like that, they're not going to separate them. We have to love our birds for who they are. Not who we want them to be. That's in part why so many birds are in rescues because they don't meet people's expectations. I don't really have advise but to say I think your boyfriend needs to really think about what he wants. If it's not them, then maybe finding them a good home is the kinder decision.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hmm, I understand. My boys were really really though on me for a while. They were literally cage free, got new toys every day, I spent a lot of tine with them trying to do new exciting things, play games, recall training, build new playstands etc. All they did was look for cavities or soft materials to masturbate on. It really broke me down, the birds I love so much only brought me sadness, because I wanted them to play, vocalize and forage. I tried lotssss of things, none of which helped. Now they are doing better, but still not where I want them to be. Partially this problem is human too, because they certainly don't mind their own behavior. But I know they are so much happier when they behave normally, and that is what I want to achieve. A while back they hung out with me one whole night, and it made me so I credibly happy. It had been a long time since they actually wanted to spend some quality time with me.

I will never give them up, because I love them deeply no matter how they behave. I also think it is my job to keep them safe, for me that means staying here. Plus, I don't think someone else will do a better job. There are so many birds needing homes, I would have to hit the jackpot. And in the end, I love doing everything for them.
If your boyfriend has no core reason for keeping them, I think it is not wrong to look for a great home for them. It may take months to find the right home, but that may be better for everyone involved. It sounds like you are doing great for them, and I believe you can make the best choice in everyone's interest.

Btw, have you tried a tray(like the ones they use to serve drinks on in restaurants) filled with wood chips for example, with some seeds scattered in it? That kept my girl busy for hours on an end, he just loved it.

elitys

Real Name
Elise
Btw, have you tried a tray(like the ones they use to serve drinks on in restaurants) filled with wood chips for example, with some seeds scattered in it? That kept my girl busy for hours on an end, he just loved it.
Yes, we have done similar things by scattering sola chips, paper scraps, and other chewables on the coffee table and hiding treats among them. Russet will pick at the easy to reach stuff for about 4 seconds, and then he will fly away sending all of our work to the floor. :confused:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well I don’t beat around the bush.

Your boyfriend is being rather immature and shallow. You only get out of a relationship what you put into it. They are family. You never give up on family

What happens if you guys have a child and it doesn’t turn out exactly like the boyfriend wants? Going to give it up too?

Pets are a lifetime commitment for as long as that pet lives. Suck it up and get on with it.

elitys

Real Name
Elise
Well I don’t beat around the bush.

Your boyfriend is being rather immature and shallow. You only get out of a relationship what you put into it. They are family. You never give up on family

What happens if you guys have a child and it doesn’t turn out exactly like the boyfriend wants? Going to give it up too?

Pets are a lifetime commitment for as long as that pet lives. Suck it up and get on with it.
Sure I guess. But in a similar line of reasoning, when you take on the responsibility of a child when you aren't ready for it (like my boyfriend did with his bird when he was a teenager), the best thing for that child might be adoption.

I'm not excusing his actions. It was a bad choice to bring a bird into his life without doing proper research. But at the same time, it's hard to know what you're really getting into before it becomes your life, especially when you're a teenager and your primary source of information is a bird store trying to sell you a bird.

Regardless, if anyone in the situation isn't to blame, it's the birds. Some people aren't fit to have these animals, just like some people aren't fit to parent kids. So if the birds aren't happy with the most my boyfriend is able to give them, then looking for re-home may be the right choice. I don't think it's immature to consider it as an option when you're nearing your limit; instead, I think keeping the birds and ignoring their unhappiness, trapping them within your realm of capability, would be the immature and shallow thing to do.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Maybe this is a stupid idea, but I was thinking you could maybe video some of the problem behavior? When they are bored? Maybe people more experienced with tiels see something wrong you guys missed? I know with my birds tiny little things can make a huge difference in their behavior.

elitys

Real Name
Elise
Maybe this is a stupid idea, but I was thinking you could maybe video some of the problem behavior? When they are bored? Maybe people more experienced with tiels see something wrong you guys missed? I know with my birds tiny little things can make a huge difference in their behavior.
Yeah, for sure. We are planning to try lots of things to make their behavior more manageable and to improve their relationship with us before we end up at rehoming; it's truly a last resort. We were talking about it earlier and my boyfriend said he wants to share more on the forum about our specific day-to-day experiences with the birds to try and find solutions if we can.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe building an aviary would help. There are indoor ones too. Then they could be hands off, happy birds, & your conure could be your hands on bird.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
How new is the second tiel? (not for my benefit, but to consider the following)

We all feel a rush of emotion and excitement in any new relationship... A new love, a great new friend, a fun new hobby, etc. It takes getting through that excitement and the stages of getting to know the new experience before we settle into routine and have room for the next new awesomeness of life. I wonder if accepting their current habits for a while longer will make room for them to start engaging with the rest of the flock (again, or for the first time) and the new experiences you guys have been trying to offer.

I get the frustration, fear that I was failing, and other things I was sure were issues at the time. It felt like an eternity trying to enrich monaco's life and routines. It still feels that way sometimes, and I have to remind myself to let her lead this unpredictable parade. The most effective stimulant to join the "flock" around here is still interacting with others in a fun way in front of her rather than with her. She almost always wants to join the action, or at least observes with more curiosity than what seems to be her natural state of disdain!

Whatever is happening now is not set in stone forever, but what comes next is going to stay a mystery until it happens.