• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Discouraging the floor

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Kiwi loves to fly down to the floor, and has recently convinced Blizzard to come down too. I want to stop them from going down there, because I'm scared of someone stepping on them, or getting into something they shouldn't.

How should I discourage the floor? I currently just pick them up and put them on a perch, but they just go right back down.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Is there anything down there they seem to be attracted to?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Is there anything down there they seem to be attracted to?
Kiwi will try to eat spilled seed, but other than that, the only thing currently attracting him is the cord of the standing fan, which he keeps trying to chew, luckily I always find him before he does anything dangerous, but he's getting sneakier.

• Sad
Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Is there anything you know they are not fond of that you could put on the floor?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Is there anything you know they are not fond of that you could put on the floor?
They don't like these toy squid that my baby sister plays with, but I don't have enough of them to discourage the floor (one is currently on duty discouraging the fabric couch)

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Maybe encourage a low foraging area instead. They like to scratch around on the ground, so maybe a low platform with scattered seeds and toys to fulfill the desire?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Maybe encourage a low foraging area instead. They like to scratch around on the ground, so maybe a low platform with scattered seeds and toys to fulfill the desire?
I have been looking at a lot of platform perches, but I'm having trouble finding a good one with an edge like the one @Khizz has.

I think I'll vacuum the seeds on the floor before I let them out, so there's no reward down there, and I'll cover the cord with some small towels I use to cover part of their cage a night.

Reactions: Ali

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Maybe just a serving tray would work. The kind with handles and a raised edge. I think I saw an unfinished one at Michael's or maybe it was hobby lobby. You could add a perch to it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I provide a safe area where they are allowed to go on the floor. If you can't beat em (because you won't) join em. :D

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
My tiel used to try to fly to the floor all the time. She's small, so I don't want her down there as it seems like an accident waiting to happen. She doesn't go down to the floor often now. What worked for me, was distracting her with a fun toy or treat, and having her forage either on the floor of her cage, or even on the bed. It takes patience and consistency, but it pays off eventually. :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My parrotlets are very brave on the floor too. I practice the- be 100% vigilant method- and let them have their fun. I am lucky that I don't have a lot of human traffic in my home as it is just me and my partner. If you are worried they will get stepped on maybe it is time to work a playtime out with your family. Let everyone know that between x hours those guys have the house ;) and the floor!

mak

I don't get it, my tiel won't go on the floor if you paid him! Not the floor of the house, not the floor of his cage, nothin! oooof, birds! :banghead:

Mantis64

You guys should consider yourselfs lucky I cant even get my bird to leave his cage for more then 5 seconds i take him off and he flies straight back.