• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Discouraging my bird from laying eggs

Goose22

Moving in
Real Name
John Brennan
Hello everyone, thank you for reading. Its been 3 nights now that my pineapple conure (1.5years old) has been sleeping at the bottom of her house. In the picture attached, she usually sleeps in the upper right of the cage next to her heater. But recently, she has been sleeping on the lower left of the cage on the paper. She chews up the paper and the flat wooden platform at night too. I change the paper daily before bed but I wanted to ask, should i remove the paper and just let the grill underneath be exposed? I really dont want her to lay an egg and considering its only her 3rd night down there, I also dont want to cause egg binding. By removing the paper, it should discourage my bird from laying eggs? This picture was taken this morning as she eats her breakfast. Lastly, Im not sure what her TRUE sex is. I kinda just took her in as a female and named her Rosey. Do male conures display the same behaviors when its breeding season? Thank you all so much!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello John :)

I would put the paper under the grate as opposed to on top of.

Are those your cage covers on top? Are they there all day? It is a good idea to move them somewhere else. Daylight hours should be bright, and nighttime dark. Having the blankets on top could create a nook/nest effect.

Goose22

Moving in
Real Name
John Brennan
Hello John :)

I would put the paper under the grate as opposed to on top of.

Are those your cage covers on top? Are they there all day? It is a good idea to move them somewhere else. Daylight hours should be bright, and nighttime dark. Having the blankets on top could create a nook/nest effect.
Hello! thank you for the reply. and yes they are covers. I built her cage myself to accomodate a few things i learned from my previous cage build, big wide opening both front and side doors and where i have her situated in the room, theres a window directly behind her cage and 2 more windows facing her cage from the opposite end of the room. I also have a full spectrum LED for the room and blinders for the window at night for minimal light when its her bedtime. I try my best to keep her awake hours as bright as possible with as much beneficial light as possible and vice versa at night. Lastly, I put the paper underneath the grate like you suggested but she still adamant in going straight to her platform perch on the bottom next to her toy and settles in. I do hear her tear and chew apart her seagrass mat but not long after, she's fast asleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
still adamant in going straight to her platform perch on the bottom next to her toy and settles in. I do hear her tear and chew apart her seagrass mat but not long after, she's fast asleep.
You could remove the platform perch and see if it changes anything. Or just leave her and see how it goes, it could just be she likes to sleep there.
A nesty bird will sit there throughout the day, not just at night.

(I hope you don´t mind I fixed the quote in your post so that I could quote the line you wrote)

Goose22

Moving in
Real Name
John Brennan
Hello everyone. Thank you all for the very kind responses. I've read all the comments and adjusting appropriately to my birds needs. This is my first time going through this with a bird and it's gotten me on my toes a little bit. Thank you all again!

Goose22

Moving in
Real Name
John Brennan
You could remove the platform perch and see if it changes anything. Or just leave her and see how it goes, it could just be she likes to sleep there.
A nesty bird will sit there throughout the day, not just at night.

(I hope you don´t mind I fixed the quote in your post so that I could quote the line you wrote)
Hello! And no not at all! I appreciate the correction wholeheartedly! I'm really hoping she will return to her normal self soon and sleep up top next to her prevue heater. She was so comfy up there every night. I feel bad cuz I want to give her as much comfort as possible at night, but I dont want to encourage nesting