• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Discouraging Biting

Dynasys

Meeting neighbors
Hey, hope everyone is safe and healthy. My lovebird has become very social and loving thanks to everyone's help, so thank you so much! The only issue is that I could not stop her from biting. Her bites don't seem aggressive (I could be misreading them however so I will elaborate). She loves to perch on my finger, shoulder, head, etc. and she allows scritches (I hold my two fingers up to ask, thanks @DoubleTake and Loki for your very cute videos). The only problem is that sometimes when she sees a finger, she will walk over to it and begin biting/nibbling. I don't know if this is due to a lack of better toys in her cage and she's teething, or if at a certain time she doesn't appreciate my hands being near her?
She will also nibble at my ears and lips but again not in an aggressive manner, I just think she's trying to preen or something but it's not something I welcome :mad2:. I've tried @Zara's advice and I set her down and proceed to leave the room but my lovebird will just immediately try following me to the door, and gives me this look as if I've betrayed her by trying to leave lmao. If I do successfully end up leaving the room without her back on my shoulder, she will chirp continuously until I'm back after 10 seconds which I think is progress until she decides she wants to bite again

Also please enjoy this video of Risha flying in slow motion :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If I do successfully end up leaving the room
You don´t need to leave the room. Just put her down and take some steps back and carry on with your own things.

My young birds all went through a sort of phase where they were nippy. I wouldn´t allow that, so if they nipped, we don´t play. And They all grew out of it.
My youngest is still a little in that nippy phase, they´ve yoinked my earring out twice, which is a first for me (many have tried though).
Young lovebirds love attention, and when they realise that nipping means no attention they learn to not do that (until they start nesting and sometimes get a bit nippy).
I know what you mean about putting them down and they fly back, but it still works. If my birds nip and I´ve put them down, they can fly back and I will allow that, and they usually don´t nip... if they do, they get taken off me once again.

Be sure you have a nice station set up with toys etc it really helps. Bored birds bite. So have some things for them to do either with you or alone. I have my little stand, and I keep odd toy parts around, beads, wooden pieces, c links etc My little one can use their beak and explore how to use it, but on toys instead of me ;)

Edit, things like this,
IMG_20200517_144858_1.jpg I also put out popsicle sticks, paper cases etc Just any toy parts I have one hand, these pieces live in the play stand. I will pit some pellets between all the toys and make it a sort of foraging opportunity :)

Last edited:

Dynasys

Meeting neighbors
Bored birds bite. So have some things for them to do either with you or alone
I think this is one of the reasons she is biting. Thanks, I'll definitely make sure to upgrade her selection of toys and I appreciate you taking your time to show me your birds toys, that'll help me a lot.

You don´t need to leave the room. Just put her down and take some steps back and carry on with your own things.
Good to know I don't need to leave the room, I was starting to feel bad hearing her chirping for me to come back.

Thanks for your help

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'll definitely make sure to upgrade her selection of toys
Shreddables are a fave with lovebirds, you can lay hanging toys flat or hang them off a stand.
During the day we get the kitten balls out (they have bells inside).

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
So is it biting or nibbling? I think all birds go through a nibbling phase. If it is unwanted behavior just put her down and continue doing your own thing. When she comes back over pick her up. If she does it again, rinse and repeat. She'll get the reason why eventually. I would not put her back in or in her cage if she is biting, she may learn that's how she tells you to put her back in the cage.

Dynasys

Meeting neighbors
So is it biting or nibbling? I think all birds go through a nibbling phase.
Yea it's a lot of nibbling, especially on the ears

If it is unwanted behavior just put her down and continue doing your own thing.
That's the issue, she won't let me do my own thing because she'll just fly right back, and I was worried that it wasn't instilling in her that nibbling=no playtime. I was definetly wrong though because I'm already starting to see her become hesitant, granted she still ends up having a chew but I can already see progress, so thank you so much :)