• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Discoid and Dunes

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Look! My dune scorpion is alive after all. Like many arachnids, I know it's alive when food goes missing. I can also tell by the cute little footprints in the sand. Really thinking about buying some clay and keep some desert hairy scorpions too. The only time I've seen this guy except for unpacking it.

My newest breeding project: discoid roaches.

Though I might be the only user on this forum to breed roaches. Anyone else? I enjoy working with roaches :xflove: Seriously wish I knew more people interested in that hobby.

atomicfriday

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
What's it like having roaches for pets?

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
What's it like having roaches for pets?
They're fairly easy as pets. You don't have to touch them if you don't want to when maintaining them. In the pic above they were juveniles but these guys are now adults (about twice the size above) and just starting to breed. It takes a while to get a colony going if you start small and some species breed faster than others. I will use them as feeders for my arachnids when they get to a sustainable size in number. I still enjoy them for myself and have them live well off of mixed high quality cat or dog food and oats and any fruits or veggies that are about to go bad in my fridge. They work really well as a compost unit, not a lot of food gets wasted here.

Some species can climb glass, discoid roaches cannot. Which was why I decided on this species. They don't breed well outside of specific conditions I have inside the enclosure. That's also something I liked about them.