• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Discipline/punishment. Just bad advice.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
There are other options to wing clipping and l'm glad they were pointed out.
And I'm really glad that you did ask before clipping him. :)
The cupboard doors with this glass have now simply been draped with towels.
I also cover things if I have too. I cover with transparent oil cloth. It's so slippery so they can't land on it either. If I have to I also place things that will scare them enough so they not will go near or land. Their safety always comes first so you have to do what you have to do.
And as he is still so young, he will stop searching for troubles when he gets older. Most, I think they do bad things to get our attention.
It will all be for him and his stands and toys. Any future potential visitors who want to stay in my home will politely be referred to the local hotel. My macaw's well-being is more important.
♥♥♥
Today he seemed to know his flight feathers were safe, and enjoyed his ability to fly. He also made lots of contented noises.
Excellent shots! Thanks for sharing! :)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know some members here have used shower curtains to keep flyers from going into room or to block mirrors.

@JLcribber

Thanks for your rant. This would have been helpful as a thumbtack, especially in the Amazon area :smuggrin:

My guy likes to make noise because he's a amazon. Usually he does get loud when we're playing & well... I'm loud! No biggie, but we've had issues w/ screaming because he just wants... Anything. Initially I did the covered cage thing but stopped because it didn't work. He understands conversation quite well. I've found a firm No, turned back & waiting it out is the only thing that works besides a really mad Mommy look.

I'm still new & I basically let Buddy run the show (Why, Because I have all day, so why not) {there is a sort of schedule, as w/ any kid/fid would want} But there's an issue w/ the screaming & honking that is mainly because I left the room. Sometimes I can defeat it by calling to him in whistles. Sometimes I can't. Any advice, besides ignore & ear plugs. Soon the windows will be open.

:gbh:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Any advice, besides ignore & ear plugs. Soon the windows will be open.
If you set up a more consistent routine where he gets your undivided attention for a set period of time and then he is expected to entertain himself for another period of time. If you are consistent with this they do learn the routine, know the routine and come to expect the routine. If I "don't" leave by 9 in the morning, that is when they start putting up a fuss. If you are constantly in view it doesn't really work.

This is a mind game. The bird has to believe you are not there/have left (whether you actually leave or not). They will not scream for no reason if they believe you're not there. It's when they know you're there and just not responding to their demands.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks John, this makes a ton of sense. I can also make it work out most of the time too!

I think the problem lies in too much of what he wants. He goes & hangs w/ Dad @ usual times of the day & when I'm out shopping etc... We want him to have everything we can give him. In ways I wish my Dad didn't own him & he was in the wild. But then I'd never had gotten to meet his great big heart!

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
If you set up a more consistent routine where he gets your undivided attention for a set period of time and then he is expected to entertain himself for another period of time. If you are consistent with this they do learn the routine, know the routine and come to expect the routine. If I "don't" leave by 9 in the morning, that is when they start putting up a fuss. If you are constantly in view it doesn't really work.

This is a mind game. The bird has to believe you are not there/have left (whether you actually leave or not). They will not scream for no reason if they believe you're not there. It's when they know you're there and just not responding to their demands.
I love reading your posts. I have learned so much from you, I feel that I'm becoming a better bird mom. Thankyou

flappergirl35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Beckman
I haven't read the other thread, but I don't believe in punishment for something a bird does naturally. Conner yells sometimes, but it's for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, it's because he wants my attention when I'm not able to give it, or it's because he's afraid of something, etc. Sure, it can get quite loud sometimes, but when I got him, I understood that BIRDS MAKE NOISE.

With all of the great information about exotic birds on the net, I would hope that anyone considering a bird would realize that they will have to deal with a certain noise level. Trying to force a bird to stop screaming is like trying to force a dog to stop barking, or a human to stop talking. It's not fair to the animal. If a person isn't prepared to deal with it, they shouldn't get a bird.

When Conner is yelling at me and there's no good reason for it, I just tune him out. I've become attuned to his various calls, and if he's demanding my attention, that's one call. If he's frightened or stressed, it's a different sound. I've had him for eight years, and it took awhile for me to tell the difference.

I shudder at the thought of all the exotic birds that get purchased by ignorant people, who just think it'll be a pretty bird sitting in a cage all day like a statue. I support my local bird sanctuary because usually, it's the person's fault that the bird is there. It is never the bird's fault.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
With all of the great information about exotic birds on the net, I would hope that anyone considering a bird would realize that they will have to deal with a certain noise level. Trying to force a bird to stop screaming is like trying to force a dog to stop barking, or a human to stop talking. It's not fair to the animal. If a person isn't prepared to deal with it, they shouldn't get a bird.
Some birds may scream all the time... Some amount of screaming may be normal, but not when it's for hours on end. For something like this, it's best to figure out the cause and rectify it. That is, give them something to do other than screaming and reinforce non-screaming behavior. If they know how to talk, you can highly reinforce that, too! Or teach them to ring a bell, or something, for your attention. Screaming for long periods of time isn't mentally healthy for them.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Trying to force a bird to stop screaming is like trying to force a dog to stop barking, or a human to stop talking.
The difference in birds vs human/dog is that you can't train a bird in the same way to stop screaming but I have no problem to train a dog to stop barking or a human to shut up.

And I agree with Monica that best to find the reason for screaming.
Often I respond to all kinds of screaming, they want something so why not respond to it?
It haven't giving me more screaming parrots, in fact the opposite. They know that I listen and doing my best to understand them.
Imo when a bird start screaming for attention 24/7 you had done something wrong.
To allow them to have a cage free day and allowing them to fly will solve most screaming problem.

flappergirl35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Beckman
I always try to find a reason for his yelling. Sometimes he will yell at me for no really good reason as far as I can tell. Like when he wants me to pick him up from one kitchen counter and carry him to the next. He has full flight, so it's just him wanting to be carried.

Sometimes he freaks out when we have visitors, especially if they're wearing a hat or have facial hair. Sometimes he screams when he knows I'm about to pull out the vacuum cleaner - he hates it.

I admit I've probably spoiled Conner quite a bit over his lifetime, which could be why he does that. I once read that if I respond every time he screams, it just encourages him to scream even more. I don't know if was bad advice, but it seemed to make sense to me.

I would never do anything that I feel would be harmful. I guess the point I was trying to make is that aversion discipline is something I would never consider. Forcing an animal or human to change a behavior by hurting them physically or emotionally is just plain wrong in my view.

I have to admit, now that Conner is older, he's not nearly as noisy as he used to be. I may not be the perfect bird guardian, but I love my birds to death and would do anything to keep them healthy and happy.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
You know I've never read this original post by John until now. This has to be one of the best and thorough posts I've ever read! John, bud, you couldn't have said it better!
For those that can't handle screaming of a bird,
Get a pet mouse! A bird isn't for you. Let them be birds, let them have their independence and choose, and stand by a set routine and stick with it. They understand that. Mix it all up on the routine and you have a confused bird, an unsettled bird.
Mine occasionally screams, but it's a happy scream, or a where are you scream. Birds like to know where you are at all times, that's the nature of " flock" ! Once you fully understand the nature behind that, you'll understand that true nature of birds.
Again, we'll said john! Beers are on me!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Like when he wants me to pick him up from one kitchen counter and carry him to the next. He has full flight, so it's just him wanting to be carried.
I have to admit, now that Conner is older, he's not nearly as noisy as he used to be. I may not be the perfect bird guardian, but I love my birds to death and would do anything to keep them healthy and happy.
If you really want the best for him you must stop pick him up. You have taught him to be helpless that's why he scream. Encourage and train him to come to you and that problem will go away + you will have a happier and more independent bird that can make his own decisions.
Sometimes he freaks out when we have visitors, especially if they're wearing a hat or have facial hair. Sometimes he screams when he knows I'm about to pull out the vacuum cleaner - he hates it.
That is a typical screaming for me to react to. He is helping your flock by telling you that it is a danger. Just go to him and tell him that you also find the hat scary (but of course act calm) and after that give him some things to distracted him with. I always respond to warning screams.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Thank you Michael. I can't drink beer (old war wound. OD'd on snooker/beer in my youth) Now Jack Daniels is a different story. :D

I totally understand john. I Spent time in marines and seen a few things you just can't erase from memory. I have 3 bullet wounds.
So Jack it is! Cheers!

flappergirl35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Beckman
I do want the best for him, and I rarely ever pick him up anymore. I encourage his independence and try to get him to fly. The only time I'll ever pick him up now is when I want to take him to his house for water and food, especially if he hasn't eaten or drank anything for a long time. He is always encouraged to fly.

flappergirl35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Beckman
There have been some dynamic changes in our house recently, and Conner being a very dominant, alpha male personality, has some difficulty with the adjustments. My husband recently retired, and now I'm working. I used to be the primary caregiver all the time, and now my husband is sharing part of the responsibility of the pets. I know that the adjustment period is tough on the birds, because they liked their routine and they had it for a long time. Conner and Leah are also moulting, and it makes them cranky.

Conner's dominant personality can make it tough sometimes, because he wants me, and sometimes I'm not available. It results in yelling. Since I'm working remotely from home, my husband's job is to look after him and keep him relatively quiet. So far, so good. I've made an entire counter in my kitchen into a play center. Travel cage (which he loves to play in), toy box, canisters he loves to drum on, yum yum and poop bowl, as well as a set of tin drums our neighbor built for him. He's a professional drummer, and Conner loves to play on them. They're all pretty good distractions for him while I'm working.

Each household is different, each bird is different, and while a lot of birds of the same 'flock' may share similar traits, they all have their own individual personalities and traits. I've had Conner for nearly nine years, and he's the light of my life, perhaps a little bit spoiled.

I've had Leah for nearly two years, she's a rescue and has severe trust issues. She's starting to come around now, not biting as much and being more sociable with the rest of us.

They are given everything they need for living a happy, full, healthy life and I make sure of that. Just want to clear that up now.

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
I get it now... so OF COURSE they don‘t respond well to punishment.
Because there are no hierarchy system in their brain. Just like in the wild, they don’t have alpha male, they only have flock members and mate for life... it all makes sense! so parrots are a bit like cats aren’t they? Except with added loyalty and wings.