• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Disabled GCC -- friend?

PineappleC

Moving in
Hi all,

I am the mommy of a flightless, one legged, very handsome disabled green cheek. He is a he and will be 3 in Feb. We had a serious medical problem when he was a baby that left him disabled and with some emotional baggage. He is very much a one lady guy and I was thinking about finding another bird. Would this be a solution to behavioral problems-- not necessarily to make him nicer, but to mitigate the attention he demands from me? I am in the entertainment industry and I haven't been able to travel for the past couple years because he self harms if I'm not around at night. Would another bird divert his priority away from me? If he's mean to everyone, it's not that big of a deal, I just need to be able to leave them/him with a sitter and know I won't come back to him having chewed a toe off and skinned himself. As I said before, he is flightless so I would be looking for another flightless bird. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated and what kind of birds would be good (or does it have to be another gcc?)

medical problems are over, behavioral problems are hot and YES, he's already got 3 mansions, so space is not a problem.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@webchirp Has multiple GCC so might be able to advise.

My thoughts another bird in a different cage may offer companionship when your out and about but possibly cause your current bird further stress as it appears to be so bonded to you.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Unfortunately, I doubt it will help the behavior if it is a behavior issue BUT I think having a friend is much better for them as their friend is always there. You might want to ask your vet about paroxetine. I have Giggie on it along with gabapentin. She too chews her skin off usually during hormone season although I think her paroxetine needed refilled sooner (only a 30 day shelf life) as we have had a bit of break through chewing this week. New bottle in the mail from the vet today. Giggie is bonded to Carlton and has been for about 10 years.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Have you thought about bringing him with you?
Most hotels are not bothered by small birds and there are several that are animal friendly.

It would take minor adjustments but he would likely adapt well to such a situation as long as he was with you at night.

PineappleC

Moving in
Thank you all for your answers. I'm just wary about bringing him, since they are business trips. And if I have to go on a plane? I have his paperwork, but he doesn't have the id ring on his leg anymore.
@Sparkles?