• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Disabled caique

1Birdmom

Moving in
Real Name
Tracy
I just recently was given a 4 month old baby girl caique whom seems to have a curled up foot, along with freeze joints in same leg , she lays on belly to the side and is unable to hold head up and when it does the head wobbles all over the place (not a bob) . I weighed the baby because she seems very skinny and she was 100.6g I think they thought she was eating pellets and drinking and she was not. They had big chunks or apple in cage. I have since removed all that and have given her formula every 4 hrs (If crop is empty)

my question is what could be going onwith this baby because a month ago she was holding her head up and hobbling across cage to greet fingers but now she just is laying there. She flaps wings and manages to hop out of hands only to land on back and stays like that until someone puts her right way up.

I have noticed she does not open mouth enough to eat on own, she will open very llohhyly and she ate off the spoon but most times I have to syringe feed her. Anyone got any advice or thoughts?

fyi she has a vet visit 8/8

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
1. Get her into the vet sooner if possible. I personally feel that is way too long for her changes in condition. It is possible it is from dehydration and malnutrition but only a vet can really tell.

2. I am goibg to take some people with baby bird experience.
@Laurie @Irishj9
@Zara @melissasparrots

The 1st 2 I tagged have Caique baby experience. The 2nd 2 have baby experience with other species.
These people will hopefully respond as soon as they get online.

1Birdmom

Moving in
Real Name
Tracy
I to feel she was starved. She barely meeps and when she does it’s very weak. She cannot hold her head up period. I have had her less than 24 hrs and she looks horrible. I have tried to get her in with someone soon was hoping for today but everyone I called was booked - not many avian vets in Brooksville fl

1Birdmom

Moving in
Real Name
Tracy
I feel like have have bitten off more than I can chew - she right now is going to need feedings every 4hrs

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Did you stress how ill and weak she is. I would call every morning and ask if they have had any cancelations abd see if you can get her in sooner, stressing how weak she is. In the meantime, give her your best and I hope and pray that your help arrived in time. Make sure to keep her warm so that she doesn't have to use energy to maintain body temperature.

1Birdmom

Moving in
Real Name
Tracy
I have her in a small room with space heater room is warmed to 86 degrees. I plan on calling another one today to see if I can get in to see them .

1Birdmom

Moving in
Real Name
Tracy
Pictures above are a month before I got her and the one where she is in my hands is yesterday. They had just done her beak as it was over grown and catching on the bottom and her nails were incredibly long.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
@BrianB

Just trying to think who has experience with babies.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I personally don't have any experience with baby birds. I can provide moral support and try to tag experienced people.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is possible it is from dehydration and malnutrition but only a vet can really tell.
This is possible. Could be some sort of infection or illness.

This bird needs a vet asap and won´t survive without one. So be very clear when on the phone that this is an emergency and cannot wait.

Do you have an incubator you can put her in to control temp´ and humidity?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
@Icey I couldn't remember his username and had to go looking.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
This is possible. Could be some sort of infection or illness.

This bird needs a vet asap and won´t survive without one. So be very clear when on the phone that this is an emergency and cannot wait.

Do you have an incubator you can put her in to control temp´ and humidity?
That was kind of what I thought but since I truly have no baby bird experience I figured best to call in the experienced ones.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with everyone else. Get that bird to a vet as soon as possible. It looks like malnutrition to me. Was the bird in the cage with just millet and corn? That’s not appropriate nutrition for any parrot.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Please keep us updated. Often people join asking for help and then disappear, and we never found out how the bird did.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree the bird needs a vet. It sounds almost like a neurological condition, but it could also be untreated splay legs or severe malnutrition. Most baby birds aren't going to eat corn off the cob like that. They want simple to grab and swallow food. If you have to take her back to hand-feeding, make sure she has plenty of seed and pellets in her cage in addition to other easy to pick up foods. Thawed and slightly warmed frozen veggies are good. I usually do cooked and mashed sweet potato with cooked rice and beans mixed in. Serve slightly warmed at hand-feeding temp. Never leave her without seed or pellets.
Some things don't quite add up. Most baby birds don't need their beak trimmed. Also, while the nails may need trimming because baby nails can be super sharp, they won't usually be too long. Babies just haven't been alive long enough for all that to over grow.