• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Disabled Budgie Cage Set Up Ideas

Dexy2010

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Whitney Hitt
Hi everyone!

I have 2 budgies with beak injuries. One upper and the other lower. (What I thought was a freak accident happened again over the weekend. I was devastated, but both birds are doing fine. One has been living with his injury for over a year now and the other only a week.) [I am fairly certain at this point that the Quaker parrots we have spooked them and caused these injuries, or attacked them through the bars. We're taking steps to prevent anything like this from happening again now that we know what the cause might be.]

With this newest injury to our bird I've been thinking a lot about how I should go about arranging their cage. A top beak injury makes it a little harder for our budgie to get around (he liked to climb the bars and often used his beak).

I would like for them to have many way to not have to utilize the bars at all. They live in a fairly large cage(i think technically it might be a conure cage) and I'd love to hear what kind of suggestions you guys might have.

I can post pictures of the cage after I get home if anyone is interested.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I would love to see a picture I have no suggestions sorry

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Ramps leading up to places.
Put cotton perches also.
A boing is a great way to climb from the floor up to the top perches, and can also hop off mid height.
Lot´s of perches or places to perch.

I am curious, what is wrong with your birds wings? If the cage is a good size, can´t they flutter/fly to get around the cage?
For my special lovebird I keep a good space clear for her to be able to spread her wings and fly around her cage.

Another idea would be to line the cage with a blanket incase your little one tries climbing and falls.

Dexy2010

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Whitney Hitt
I would love to see a picture I have no suggestions sorry
I'll see about posting a photo when I get home. The original set up wasn't that great and needs a change and new toys.

Ramps leading up to places.
Put cotton perches also.
A boing is a great way to climb from the floor up to the top perches, and can also hop off mid height.
Lot´s of perches or places to perch.

I am curious, what is wrong with your birds wings? If the cage is a good size, can´t they flutter/fly to get around the cage?
For my special lovebird I keep a good space clear for her to be able to spread her wings and fly around her cage.

Another idea would be to line the cage with a blanket incase your little one tries climbing and falls.
Those are great suggestions! The only worry I have is how I'd clean a cotton perch. They eat a soft diet and get it everywhere, but other than that.

Nothing is wrong with his wings, he's just always preferred climbing. I think he was a lizard in another life. He will fly, but I'd love to give them both some ways to get to different areas without feeling stressed. He can do without it, I just want him to not feel like he can't do something just because he haven't fully adjusted yet.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Some of us put them in the washing machine, others use a dishwasher. My little ones love to wipe veggie beaks on cotton perches :facepalm:

I think he was a lizard in another life
:lol: Maybe :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You might get some ideas from this thread

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is the setup I had for my disabled budgies who had blindness, amputations, and damaged beaks between them. Plenty of floor space, ramps for reaching different areas, and lots of fleece and padding to keep their feet from getting sore. Most of them couldn't climb the bars, and this arrangement worked well for them.

I'm glad your little ones are doing okay!

musketeer setup.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@enigma731 has a handicapped Tiel that she has set up a special cage for. Maybe she can give you some ideas.

Dexy2010

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Whitney Hitt
This is the setup I had for my disabled budgies who had blindness, amputations, and damaged beaks between them. Plenty of floor space, ramps for reaching different areas, and lots of fleece and padding to keep their feet from getting sore. Most of them couldn't climb the bars, and this arrangement worked well for them.

I'm glad your little ones are doing okay!

View attachment 323022
Oh my gosh! I love this!!! I'm going to show this to my partner because it's amazing!