• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIS or just strange?

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
I’m back again. This group is keeping me sane right now. SO sorry to keep asking so many questions.

My tiel hen has three remaining eggs. One I suspected of being DIS but I saw movement when I picked it up. Brief movement that didn’t happen again. There are also I unusual dark spots that I don’t understand.

She has not been bathing even when offered water. She just won’t use anything but her drinking dish and has lost interest in using it for anything but drinking so I started misting the inside of the nest box against the wall as I saw suggested in another thread. It’s maintaining 59% humidity now according to my replacement gauge but had been at 43% apparently until yesterday.
Egg one pipped Saturday and was an assist yesterday. He’s healthy and feeding well now.

Eggs were laid 10/27 10/29 10/31 and 11/2. All have movement but I thought the next in line would pip by now.
Out of concern I pulled them all to look because I was worried one may be stuck. No eggs are discolored or have an odor.
Four eggs. I took a couple pics from second angles. Please advise. Do I toss the fourth egg? Wait it out? I can’t tell if I imagined the movement.

Attachments

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I would be patient. There is no harm in hanging on to a dud until you are completely sure.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There is no harm in hanging on to a dud until you are completely sure.
Unhatched eggs are benifitial to chicks in the nest as they can use them to prop up against and also prevent the hen from brooding to tighly (which can cause splayed legs).

I think that egg is too light. If it should hatch soon, I would expect to see it darker as it will be filled with a little chick.

Keep it around anyway though :)

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Unhatched eggs are benifitial to chicks in the nest as they can use them to prop up against and also prevent the hen from brooding to tighly (which can cause splayed legs).

I think that egg is too light. If it should hatch soon, I would expect to see it darker as it will be filled with a little chick.

Keep it around anyway though :)

Got it!
I ended up tossing that last one but left the other two. It was a very obvious discoloration this morning and I was worried it would crack and leak. I pulled it and it was brown and had a hairline crack I didn’t see last night. The air sac area was also gross looking.

The chick is definitely using the other eggs to prop up and they’re holding some heat too when mom isn’t there. It’s really cute seeing him sprawl over the eggs. One of the others is so dark a light won’t shine through it. It may be the 10/31 egg maybe? I think 10/29 was the DIS. I didn’t want to handle them again so I just poked the light in while the mom was off. My camera exposure in the dark was really crappy and it’s hard to tell but the last two photos were of the one that was definitely DIS.
The top four photos are of the other two eggs and it doesn’t show well but one is very very dark but the edge of it has red veins touching the air cell.
Good sign?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
In the future, you may want to dot the eggs with a sharpie. First egg gets 1 dot, second get 2 and so on. This way you can just look at the dates and the dots and know who will hatch next etc. It really helps a lot.
I don´t like to candle eggs after the week mark when I first candle them. And I candle them where they are, I don´t pick them up unless I can´t get around with the torch.

One of the others is so dark a light won’t shine through it. It may be the 10/31 egg maybe?
That one could still be viable. Try to leave it in the nest, as the hen will be turning it and cooling it as needed.

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
In the future, you may want to dot the eggs with a sharpie. First egg gets 1 dot, second get 2 and so on. This way you can just look at the dates and the dots and know who will hatch next etc. It really helps a lot.
I don´t like to candle eggs after the week mark when I first candle them. And I candle them where they are, I don´t pick them up unless I can´t get around with the torch.

That one could still be viable. Try to leave it in the nest, as the hen will be turning it and cooling it as needed.

I felt like a fool about a week after the last one was laid because I didn’t number them and wished I had. So it’s safe to candle them like this? This is what I’ve been doing and how I noticed the one looked off. And how I noticed Egg 1 was stuck and needed an assist.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just remember to use a Sharpie and not a cheap marker. Pencil rubs off.

What is that bedding? On your first post i thought they were some sort of pigeon, duck or chicken eggs because of the bedding. Do you have aspen shavings? or corse pine? I recommend switching the bedding once the other egg hatches

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
That’s a photo from Saturday. I had “nesting” bedding then learned pine was better. But I couldn’t find the right size pine. Google told me aspen would work and I took a shot by adding in this. I couldn’t coat the entire nest box floor without disturbing them.
The mark was that photo was my iPhone markup. I dotted them all on one side with Sharpie so I could see if she was turning them or not. It didn’t occur to me to number them too while doing that.

She leaves the nest a LOT because the father isn’t helping but we really just wanted her to stop laying and dummy eggs didn’t fool her. Thats a whole other story full of drama.

this stuff is good, right?

Attachments

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
The halloween egg pipped tonight. I really really hope this one makes it because Halloween is my special day.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Did the little one get out of their shell ok? I´m hoping for the best

gamermouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
It unzipped a line about one cm in size but isn't out yet, and when I touched a light against the egg I can see the baby moving but there are still faint veins. I'm not sure if I should assist yet. Sounds like the chick is still drawing everything in?