• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Dirty/dry beak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Other foods that are high in omega 3/6 fatty acids are Lafeber products like Nutriberries, canola oil, flax seed and walnuts.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
I need some help. Look at this picture.

1. 12 weeks old.

2. 2 weeks ago. The beak seems dirty from porridge (I think) and dry too?

3. Today. New bathed but still dry/dirty.

I have try to clean it with coconut oil, (he don't like it at all) and the shower twice a week doesn't help enough so what to do?
He is eating lots of veggies and fruit everyday (he eats everything I give him, so lucky me!) so I don't think it's vitamin deficiency.
He is also eating a small amount of seed and pellets every day. Twice a week he gets sprouted pigeon mix and he eat herbs every day too.
Eloy you have been given a lot of good advice here. I think that while you have the basis of a good and varied diet, your bird may be consuming them in the wrong proportions. Fruit and veggies play an important part in providing variation to most parrots diets, but they actually contribute very little of the required amounts of vitamins, minerals and trace elements most parrots need. They do provide some, but not enough.

I would suggest that you up his pellet intake to about 70% of what your bird consumes and provide just a very, very small amount of seed 5% and the rest mainly veggies and a small amount of fruit. By doing this, your bird will be getting all the vitamins, minerals and nutrition he requires to maintain optimum health. Now and again you should expect there to be a little bit of flakiness, because bird shed and/or wear away the outer layer of their beaks. It will take around 9-12 months for you to see the results of your labour, but it will happen. You should also see even better quality feathers as well. As I stated earlier, all the elements for a good and varied diet are already there, but the pellets should provide staple around which your diet is built and the rest should be considered as supplements. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.