• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Dirty boy Coco doesn't want to preen

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Wet, dry, he has no interest in grooming his beautiful feathers.

IMG_20190330_182252324.jpg

All wet from his spray shower, but he just wants to eat.

IMG_20190330_182334768.jpg

Doesn't care one bit about his funny mohawk!

I wonder if it's physically difficult for an overweight parrot to preen, and if my chunky monkey will be more interested in maintaining himself once he's slimmed down...

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Does he like his showers?

I've found Secret gets more into the shower if it's around 2 pm and the water is tepid.

I'm trained well.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He doesn't hate them, but doesn't seem to like them either. Tried the "vacuum method" to pique his interest; he just yelled at the vacuum.
Secret "endures" most times.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
@Clueless 635 grams and he has a lipoma on his lower abdomen. Our vet's goal is to get him under 600.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Misted him around 2:30PM today (shortly before he usually takes his afternoon siesta), and I just saw him preening a little! Just his shoulders, but it's something. :highfive:

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
My BFA is 540 gms. He is 36 and has a lipoma on his lower abdomen as well! At his high he was 608 gms. He is doing well now after losing the weight. Good luck with Coco. He is such a pretty boy.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Misted him around 2:30PM today (shortly before he usually takes his afternoon siesta), and I just saw him preening a little! Just his shoulders, but it's something. :highfive:
That's the ticket!!!

Just have to find THEIR happy time.!

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
My BFA is 540 gms. He is 36 and has a lipoma on his lower abdomen as well! At his high he was 608 gms. He is doing well now after losing the weight.
Nice to hear!! How did you encourage your Amazon to lose the weight?

Coco is 27-28 years old and came to me eating a gross high fat seed mix (it even had salted fried veggie chips in it!) and Pretty Bird Pellets. Luckily I'm guessing he had exposure to better food in the past, as he has had no trouble giving up his seed (I put it outside for the squirrels) in favor of fresh veggies. He LOVES fresh broccoli and carrots, and I give him small walnut pieces and Christine's Chop Shop Apple Brittle for treats.

Unfortunately, he's clipped and I suspect that he's been kept clipped for a while, or just wasn't given the opportunity to fly, as he acts like other birds who came to me without flying experience. He also has mild aortic atherosclerosis.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Basically, I switched him to pellets. I have had Sam all of his life, and when he was small there weren't any pelleted diets on the market. Once they came out, I slowly switched him to the pellets. He will eat a wide variety of fruits and veggies as well. He also loves a walnut treat, as well as Nutriberries. We also play with him a lot, having him run back and forth to get this toy or that toy. He will also sit on my finger and flap flap like a crazy bird. I guess just the switch to a better diet and exercise did it.