• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dirty Birdie? Budgie hates baths!

Mwgroome

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone!

Sweet little Mr Blue Sky is 8 months old. He was purchased at about 6 weeks from a member of our local avicultural society. It’s been a long, slow process to tame him (There are three kids in the family, so it’s a noisy, fast-paced household) and he’s only just stating to be friendly and enjoy a lot of out-of-cage time. He’s not great about “stepping up” and we try to be really careful about not scaring him too much when it’s time to go back in the cage. He’s generally a happy bird (I think) who loves his seeds and greens - not so much fruit and veg, and rarely chews his cuttlebone - sings all the time, and makes us laugh with his bobbing-head dance!

My main question/concern is that he doesn’t seem to like water. I never see him drink, and he doesn’t like baths! We’ve tried leaving different sized bowls of water both inside and outside his cage, even in the sink with the tap running (thinking he might be attracted to the sound?) but he won’t go near it! I’ve read that most budgies like to bathe frequently - especially during moult, which is going on right now. His feathers look mostly healthy, although his tail is a bit dirty. He has no bald patches or anything, and appears to have normal grooming behavior otherwise.

Aside from being a fussy eater and not a great lover of being handled (unless on his own terms) I think his behavior is pretty normal. Is the bathing something I need to worry about? Is there anything else I can do for him to help him with moulting?

Thank you!

Attachments

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I would just keep offering like you've been doing so that he gets used to you. Offer the bath, pat your fingers in the water... maybe take a little cup (like a Dixie cup) and gently pour a thin stream in to the bowl. If he shows interest, great! If not, hand him a treat anyways. :)

Some Budgies like to bathe in their greens. Shallow bowl with cool water and leafy greens (safe to eat of course) in there. Some even like moistened greens hanging in a cluster from a high spot in the cage.

Look in to getting a T perch. They are wonderful for hands off birds, or getting shy birds used to being transported without the scary people hands.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
My budgie is also a reluctant bather, but I have learned that he prefers a shower. I indulge him and hold my hand under a very slow stream of water under the tap. He stands on my hand and opens up his wings and has a good wash....sometimes he even rolls on his back!

You could also try misting him with a spray of water.

He definitely drinks, just not when you are watching.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you gradually get this bird accustomed to a gentle spritz from a small bottle it will work. I got a bottle that sprays a fine mist spray in the amphibian department of a pet store. Get the bird used to the sound and sight of the bottle first before you put warm water inside. Also in my case one bird did not like water so much and the other bird taught him to stand and enjoy a spritz of water.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a cute photo! Mr. Blue Sky is definitely a gorgeous guy. Just do what all have suggested, and I'll bet he will learn to love those baths or spritzes. Mine do. Your family seems to be making a lot of progress with this little sweetie! :welcome2:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Offering the bath in different areas can make a difference. I've spent months trying to get a budgie to bathe. I was so hacked off I just left the dish on top of the cage and walked away. She hopped right in.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Some of my birds like to bath, some don't. They bath very seldom in their drinking cup but I'm not home during the day so I wouldn't know if they bath every day..
They also have a low dish on the dinning table where they can drink and bath. I've seen Nova try to bath there once but she was chased away by my parrotlet who considers the table to be his territory. She loves showers, my other budgie didn't like to shower for several years, but now he seems to enjoy it. I take them to the shower every Saturday.
The parrotlet is scarred to death of showers so I only shower him when I see dust coming out of him when he scratches himself. About every 2-3 weeks.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have an african ringneck. She's been with me going on close to 5 years now? Nearly 6... and I can't say I've ever seen her drink. All my other birds? Yup! No problem! Her? Not even when I'm in the same room as her for *hours* have I seen her take a drink! Eating is no problem but drinking? Not interested if I'm there! Quite odd, honestly... but obviously, she does drink or else she wouldn't be around! Anyway, in regards to baths....

You could try providing bathing opportunities in different ways. Here's some ideas!
  • Try luke-warm water
  • Try cold water
  • Try ice-cold water
  • Try a spray bottle
  • Try a plant mister
  • Try in the sink with the water running or just some water in the bottom
  • Try in the sink with the sprayer
  • Try in the tub with some water in the bottom
  • Try a casserole dish or similar with some water
  • Try the dish with ice
  • Try the dish with foot toys
  • Try the dish with some small rocks or pebbles
  • Try the dish with some leafy greens like endive or other types of lettuces that may create a "natural" bowl
  • Try the dish with a vacuum cleaner running
  • Try in the shower with you - watching you having a blast getting wet!
  • Try dancing the bird into the shower with the water already going
  • Try spritzing yourself, and have fun doing it! Then spritz the bird
  • Try outside in an empty cage large enough to spread wings during a nice rain shower
  • Try outside in an empty cage using the hose with a mist/shower attachment
  • Try playing videos of other birds bathing