• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dingy Feathers on back

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I have noticed that Oliver has dingy feathers on his back. I've noticed this for a little while and I thought that it would go away when he molted, but it didn't. His wings hide them so it's kind of hard to get a picture but they look kind of ratty and some have blackish tips. Could this be from over preening? He eats a balanced diet of veggies pellets and seeds, he can come out of the cage whenever he wants and always flies around. I have a pretty good video of it just watch to the end and you'll see them but I don't know how to post a video :o:

Screenshot_20200706-203110.png
Edit: here's a screenshot I took of the video. I can't get a good picture cuz he always pops his head up whenever he sees the flash

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They are not as neat and fully feathered under the wings so it could be normal depending on where it is

To post a video it must be linked through another site like you tube or fb

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
They are not as neat and fully feathered under the wings so it could be normal depending on where it is

To post a video it must be linked through another site like you tube or fb
I just edited in a screenshot of the video if you didn't see. Thank you for the quick response too! I am probably just overthinking things :D

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I just edited in a screenshot of the video if you didn't see. Thank you for the quick response too! I am probably just overthinking things :D
I’ll see if I can get a pic of Burt in the spot I think you’re talking about. Wish me and my phone luck! He’s in a bit of a mood today :laugh:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ohhh now I’m in big trouble! FE70EBAC-DA53-4CA4-B836-0B3098055685.jpeg
Best I could get today without loosing a finger or phone! Lol.

clarousel

By dingy do you mean chewed up or like missing patches in the feathers?

Cause my budgie has that on some old tail feathers. I reckon she just preened it so much cause they were nasty from the nest!

Would be interested to see what others say :)

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
@Shezbug I'm glad you are ok :laughing6: and it's not the underwing that I am talking about.. it's on his back but the tip of his wings cover it so it's hard to get a picture.
And @clarousel they do kinda look chewed on but there are no missing patches. Just the tips of the feathers look chewed

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hmmm well then that does sound a bit odd.
They do have a preening gland about where you’re mentioning so maybe that is the area you’re seeing. That area is well covered on my Squeak.

clarousel

@Shezbug I'm glad you are ok :laughing6: and it's not the underwing that I am talking about.. it's on his back but the tip of his wings cover it so it's hard to get a picture.
And @clarousel they do kinda look chewed on but there are no missing patches. Just the tips of the feathers look chewed
Oh it's the tip of the wings? I think Preeno has a few chewed up old wing tips... I'm wondering if it's over preening too

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What kind of a cage does this bird have? Sometimes feathers get messed up inbetween the bars.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
What kind of a cage does this bird have? Sometimes feathers get messed up inbetween the bars.
He has a vision model mo2 medium. I feel that it's large enough for him. my other budgie doesnt share a cage with him.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Hmmm well then that does sound a bit odd.
They do have a preening gland about where you’re mentioning so maybe that is the area you’re seeing. That area is well covered on my Squeak.
It's above his preening gland.. and I am taking him to get a check up because his beak needs a trim anyway so I thought why not

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Wish me luck I'm going to try and get a good picture of his back :scared3:

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Ok so I took a closer look (he screamed the entire time because he's such a drama queen) but I don't think that there is anything for me to worry about. It looks weird but it's a normal weird if that makes sense. I'm still going to get the vet to take a look though when I take him in to get a beak trim. I couldn't get a photo because it took one hand to hold and the other to move his wing aside and no one will be at my house for a couple of days.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Alrighty I finally got a good close look in good light at his back (also without having to hold him) and it really just looks like he over preens back there. The tips of the feathers seem to be preened off which is why it looks dingey. there are also no bare spots or any sign of him pulling his feathers back there.
I called the vet last Tuesday and they said they only take emergencies right now but I don't think that this is an emergency.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
IMG_20200714_173626105.jpg
Finally got a good picture. What do y'all think? Just a little over preening?