• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dingdong Injured

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Little rascal flew from his feeding perch while I was preparing his evening meal, and landed across the room on Fingers/Cha-Cha's cage

They're breeding and usually in a very bad mood

Fingers was NOT welcoming visitors and they were fighting through the bars as I sprinted across the room

I quickly stopped the bleeding and cleaned the wound on DingDong's claw, but the vet this morning said the nail cant be saved

So my little invalid is hopping about this morning with a plaster to keep the injury clean, and a 5 day supply of painkillers

Other than THAT, he seems unfazed

Papa is quite fazed

Again, where's foot (2).jpg t
the vodka?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww....poor little one! I hope his foot heals quickly!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ding dong! You naughty boy!! Giving papa a heart attack!! Get well soon, kid... Lots of love.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Afternopn nap, after a hectic morning

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh dear :( Wishing for a speedy recovery! :heart2:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no poor little Dingdong,I'm sorry little guy. I hope he heals quickly.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
He's not sad at all. and is behaving quite normally, full of beans except for obviously keeping the weight of his injured foot

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poor little dude.....

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! Precious little baby.

Was it just a nail amputation, with tissue still attached and intact enough for good prognosis of regrowth? or has the distal end of the toenail and bone been severed and this is a permanent maim?

You just tell him toes don’t make the bird, and he’s still the cutest!

And yes- another round of Vodka. Sometimes there’s just not enough hands and quick reflexes where birds are concerned. We’ve all been there- don’t beat yourself up.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
There wasn't an amputation but the toe was severely bitten. The nail was hanging so the vet said it wouldn't last, best to remove it.

Since baby is bandaged up to keep the area clean, I haven't had a good look yet.

But given his level of chirping happy activity and demands to be exploring, I think he will be ok.

Vet gave me pain meds to be administered morning and night. I did give him some last night, but I worry about an overdose. if hes very active again today I will stop them, too risky.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Oh Dingdong. Stay away from the naughty grown-ups.

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
He is so, so cute! I’m sure he’ll adjust well even if that toenail is gone forever.

I have a BHC with multiple amputated toes. His right foot is normal, but left foot has only one full toe and 2 stubs. He was a little unsteady at 4 months old, but he’s 9 months now and a typical crazy caique. He’ll happily swing upside down by that single toenail on his left foot!

45ED1020-1CAE-4A3C-A386-84CD221F16E4.jpeg
(This was the best picture of his foot that I could find, he usually doesn’t stay still long enough for me to get a good photo. His top beak is shorter than normal because his parents also broke it when he was a baby )

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is so, so cute! I’m sure he’ll adjust well even if that toenail is gone forever.

I have a BHC with multiple amputated toes. His right foot is normal, but left foot has only one full toe and 2 stubs. He was a little unsteady at 4 months old, but he’s 9 months now and a typical crazy caique. He’ll happily swing upside down by that single toenail on his left foot!

View attachment 401708
(This was the best picture of his foot that I could find, he usually doesn’t stay still long enough for me to get a good photo. His top beak is shorter than normal because his parents also broke it when he was a baby )
Oh my goodness,I'm sorry to hear about his troubles but he's utterly adorable :heart:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

View attachment 401708
And doesn’t he look like the Lord of the Manor on that lovely bannister! :xflove:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
They're much more adaptable than we are. My Dingdong has only slowed down, slightly

he does not accept that he cant do anything he wants lol