• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diggle broke a blood feather

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I haven't had this happen before so it was scary but @Mizzely helped me through it. I knew what to do but it was still nerve wracking. I got the base out within 5-10 minutes of him breaking the feather so I think he's fine. I still need to clean him up but I didn't want to stress him out more after all of this. I'll post thumbnails that way if someone doesn't want to see the pics it won't be so in your face. I only got them to send to @Mizzely as I was in panic mode.

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1529517975870.jpg_1529517977252.jpeg MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1529519375541.jpg_1529519380496.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Glad it all worked out :D You did better than I would have!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Good job. I hate doing them, even small ones.
When I pulled it I kind of felt sick to my stomach. Mostly because his screams were so upsetting. We do everything we can to not hurt them, and I know it was absolutely necessary, but hearing that and knowing I was doing it to him just sucked.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Good grief @AkasyaEllric and @Mizzely ... I'm SO glad Dig is okay, and that Mizzely knew just what to do. I can relate to the part about nearly being sick knowing you had to hurt him to help him! I'd be the same way, maybe worse, and good job on doing what you had to do in order for him to be okay!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
So glad he is ok. It's frightening for us. They are bleeding, we aren't sure from where. If they toweled and not use to that, they mad as all get out. Glad @Mizzely was there to help you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Now you will be helpful to someone else with this issue. When it happened to a gray I had I panicked and was off to the animal ER. It is very scary and painful to the bird.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
He's so mad at me still. I got attacked when I gave him dinner, no blood from me though. I'm a little sad he's mad, but I also understand why he is. I would rather he be ok and mad than dead.
Make sure you are the treat giver for few days.

music2music

Meeting neighbors
I'm glad you were able to get it out ok! I haven't dealt with any blood feathers yet, but I can only imagine how hard it is to deal with in the moment.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Well done, glad he is ok even if a little angry.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Make sure you are the treat giver for few days.
I ended up sucking up with some almond slivers, his favorite treats, but at least he isn't mad at my daughter so she can do the day to day stuff for now. She's actually his person so I would rather he be mad at me then her. Poor guy didn't realize it because he was toweled, but she's who held his wing up for me so I could get it. I'm super proud of her honestly. She's 9 so she can not listen sometimes but she did everything I said and held on perfectly for me to get it out. Digg is so confused though because he wants to be near me, but then bites the crap out of me. I think we will get past it, I got past it when we got him since he thought I was the devil then too. :lol:

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
It is scary the first time it happens. Good job staying calm, cool and collected. The first time it happened to us was with one of our macaws. I thought it was a murder scene from the showtime series DEXTER.
dexter.jpg

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
It is scary the first time it happens. Good job staying calm, cool and collected. The first time it happened to us was with one of our macaws. I thought it was a murder scene from the showtime series DEXTER.
View attachment 279867
Liked it for the Dexter reference, that's one of my favorite shows ever! I'm just glad @Mizzely helped keep me calm enough to get the job done too.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Liked it for the Dexter reference, that's one of my favorite shows ever! I'm just glad @Mizzely helped keep me calm enough to get the job done too.
As vividly graphic as that program was, we own all 8 seasons of it and have watched it a few times from beginning to end. We wish it had not ended. With all the reboots of old shows we are hoping that Dexter & Hannah resume where Dexter's adoptive father Harry left off and start training Harrison in the "ART" of eliminating "BAD" guys & gals. It's one our favorite shows as well.
dex.jpg

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
As vividly graphic as that program was, we own all 8 seasons of it and have watched it a few times from beginning to end. We wish it had not ended. With all the reboots of old shows we are hoping that Dexter & Hannah resume where Dexter's adoptive father Harry left off and start training Harrison in the "ART" of eliminating "BAD" guys & gals. It's one our favorite shows as well.
View attachment 279873
Same, it's one of the few shows I watch over and over. Marvel comics did a crossover that I believe is suppose to be the continuation after the end of the series, but I would really like for the show to just come back and if they even need to, use the comics as a jumping off point.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Same, it's one of the few shows I watch over and over. Marvel comics did a crossover that I believe is suppose to be the continuation after the end of the series, but I would really like for the show to just come back and if they even need to, use the comics as a jumping off point.
We keep hoping a reboot to take place. They definitely left the door open with Harrison & Hanna having gotten away but also Dexter with some logging company. Best show ever........