• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Digby Cut Her Foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
We have not done any x-rays at this point. Right after I my last post, Digby was walking around and using her foot quite a bit, so now I just don't know. The vet is giving us more Metacam. If I don't see more improvement in the next couple days (or if she gets worse sooner), I'll ask the vet about other possible causes.

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
We're going to Dr. Vaughn this afternoon. A couple of times yesterday her urine either had a slight yellow or tan color, or the urine absorbed some of the color of the feces. I'm not sure which. She also seemed to be pooping a bit less than normal, but she is still eating and drinking.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Hope everything turns out to be fine!

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I hope everything goes okay for you :hug8:it can be difficult at a time like this but you have to keep your head high!

random comment but I really love Lenore's colour, what is that mutation!? I must have it :D hehe.

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Thanks everybody. I'm hoping and praying everything will be alright. I forgot to mention that she was acting more like herself yesterday, was less fluffy and a bit more active.

Daisy, Lenore is a double dark factor blue masked lovebird, also known as a mauve lovebird. His breeder also calls them "gothic" lovebirds.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I was just checking in and hope the vet visit goes ok :hug8:

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
We are back from the vet. He took one look at her feet and said that it's bumblefoot. :( He said that it doesn't look infected yet (thinking about that now, that statement confuses me...I thought bumblefoot was an infection...maybe he meant the infection wasn't bad yet). He's not sure how she would have got it as all her perches, except for that one pedicure perch, are good--she has several different types of perches that all vary in diameter. I wonder if maybe she had it before we got her and it's just came back. The vet said that is a possibility.

We were told to put vitamin E oil on her feet everyday and bring her back in two weeks. The vitamin E oil should help get the scabs loose enough that he can scrape off the top layer so we can put topical antibiotics on her feet and have them actually get to the infection.

We also had routine bloodwork done and gram stains. Gram stains were fine, and we're waiting on the results from the bloodwork.

I had briefly considered bumblefoot as being the cause, but I had already been doing what was necessary to prevent it so I dismissed it. I'm off to do some more reading on bumblefoot now. I've read a lot about it in guinea pigs, but haven't read as much about it in birds. Has anybody ever dealt with it? Anybody have any suggestions or tips that would be useful, or some good info about it?

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Sending positive thoughts that Digby heals asap and gets the Bumble foot under control.

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Oh no...Bumblefoot is not a fun thing for any bird. I hope she gets well soon :hug8:

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Thanks everybody for thinking of Digby. And thank you both for the links.

The vet called this morning with the results from Dig's bloodwork. Everything is "perfectly normal".

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
I just thought I'd give a quick update. Digby is doing a ton better. The sore on her left foot is almost healed, and the sore on her right foot, while still causing her some pain and still looking overall yucky, is starting to look better. I think it's causing her less pain than it was as I catch her putting weight on it every so often. Digby is acting more like her normal self too. She's taking a bath right now. I think this is the first time I've seen her bathe since this started going on. :D She is supposed to go to the vet next week to check in and get some antibiotics.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I'm so glad to hear that she's doing better! Yay! :highfive:

Status
Not open for further replies.