• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Difficulty breathing?

Jack

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,
I am totally new on this forum but I need to ask you for help. My 9 year old blue fronted amazon has been having episodes of fast rapid breathing, with wings and tail shaking and his foot is twitching. It usually lasts for a minute or so and he stops, he started doing it once a day and other than that he acts completely normal. Could anyone help understand whether it is health condition or something else. I am a newbie with parrots as he has been recently adopted to our family. Thank you for your help.
VIDEO:

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If you haven't taken your Amazon to a vet for a well bird check - now is the time to do it. You will establish a relationship with a vet for emergency purposed, find out if there is anything wrong with your baby now and feel a whole bunch better.

Any respiratory problem is well worth going to the vet for.
There can be a whole range of problems.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I don't even have an Amazon parrot but I can tell you there are hormones surging by the sound and the wing movements. You have some members that good Amazon Parrot people to help you if you like.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
And I can attest to this behavior as in they won't bite or attack when they get clucky!

I call it clucky, hehe your bird sounds just like my Red Lored when he's feeling funky inside :embarassed: