• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Difficult decisions.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry. Painesgrey gave you some good advice about creating a written agreement.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I am so sorry...:( I hope you are able to resolve this and bring them back home soon!!

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
@Jaguar Please try to make some kind of written agreement with your ex-partner regarding the expectations moving forward. There is no such thing as "custody" of pets in the event of breakups and divorce, since they're considered property by the law. But if you write up a contract stating your expectation of return, you can always take him to court in the future if he refuses to return them to you. You will probably be expected to provide some financial support for their care, though.
Yes! We've already done it, and we had a witness (mutual friend) sign it. They're his just as much as they're mine, so he can keep them indefinitely, but they have to come back to me if he changes his mind. I know he'll take good care of them if he does decide to keep them. Thank you!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry, I hope you can get them back in the Spring. Please come back and visit us once in a while!
:sadhug2:

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
I'm sorry that you couldn't have a more favorable outcome for yourself, but at least you know that they will be well taken care of and loved while you can't have them.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Sad to report that Puffy was rehomed during my absence. I was in no position to take him - my living situation is incredibly rocky and I am basically couch surfing at this point.

I got to visit the 'tiels for what will probably be the last time a few days ago. My ex is moving and taking them. They acted like I was never gone - it was sweet.

I miss them all a lot. I still feel tremendous guilt over the whole situation, but I am SO much happier away from that relationship. One day I might consider parrots again - but until then, farewell AA and thank you for all of the fun and great advice in the few short years I was here. :greet14:

Attachments

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
This is so heartbreaking, Many hugs to you:sadhug2:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, I’m so sorry that all that has happened. Please feel free to drop in every once in a while and tell us how you are doing!:sadhug2:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
So sorry. :bighug:

Leigh jacques

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leigh
Im so sorry to hear of your hard times. Have you looked in to bird boarding? Not sure where you are located, but we have a few places here in my area.I wish could help and watch them for you. Best of wishes to you and your babies

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I'm so sorry it happened this way... But at the same time, I applaud you and your strength - it isn't easy getting out of a bad relationship, and it must have taken a great deal of courage for you to do so. I know it must be heartbreaking to see your birds go to a different home, but we here all know that you doing so is an act of love, given your situation. I think you made the right choice, as hard as it is...

I hope you are able to get back on your feet soon. We'll miss you in the meantime. :sadhug:

Leigh jacques

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leigh
Sad to report that Puffy was rehomed during my absence. I was in no position to take him - my living situation is incredibly rocky and I am basically couch surfing at this point.

I got to visit the 'tiels for what will probably be the last time a few days ago. My ex is moving and taking them. They acted like I was never gone - it was sweet.

I miss them all a lot. I still feel tremendous guilt over the whole situation, but I am SO much happier away from that relationship. One day I might consider parrots again - but until then, farewell AA and thank you for all of the fun and great advice in the few short years I was here. :greet14:
Oh hon, my heart breaks for you. Im glad they will be cared for and loved. Maybe once things have settled a bit you could see them. Prayers your way. My heart is with you and your babies.

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Things never go smoothly in divorce. Just be on the cautious side.. you stay safe!! and keep your pets safe also!! Good luck

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
It's been three years and not a day goes by that I don't miss my boys. Sometimes I swear I can hear them making their sweet little sounds in the distance. I've never had an animal leave such a mark on my heart and my life. I don't really know why I'm posting here... just needed to get my grief out a little somewhere.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sadhug2:I'm so sorry.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:bighug:

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Thanks everyone. I miss this group a lot too. I reached out to my ex... he was happy to provide me more frequent updates and pictures of them. He also reassured me that he would let me know first if for some reason he couldn't keep them any more, which I really appreciated. I live thousands of miles away in another country now, but I would do anything to get them here. They are still exactly the same... happy sweet boys. I'm glad they're still with him :heart:

Last edited: