• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Different speices of lovebirds together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
This is just a hypothetical question since I'm not sure if Bubbles is for sure staying or not and if there even will be a 2nd lovie. But if I do get him a friend it will most likely be another rescue type situation.

So can you keep different species of lovies together? Like as in keeping them in the same cage?

Thoughts? Experiences? Any suggestions?

The only reason I am even considering it is that bubbles use to be a breeder and his owner sold his mate long ago and I just wonder if he'd be happy with a friend.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The short answer is yes. Many people keep peach face lovebirds with the eye ring species (black masked, fischer's...). Different species can, and frequently do, hybridize.

For a better answer it is a bird by bird situation. Two females should not be kept together. Females are known to be very territorial.

If you do get another, after quarantine I would keep them in seperate cages next to each other for a while first so that they can get used to each other.

Matt

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
That would def be the plan, bubbles is for sure a male so I'm not worried about ending up with two females. :) I also have zero intentions on breeding either. I guess the thing is it'd be nice that if I decided to get two that eventually I could keep them in once cage (makes easier clean up) but I really don't want breeding or anything.

Any thoughts on two males together? I was kind of hoping with the different species they wouldn't try to breed :lol:

I wouldn't mind them being in separate cages for a while or even the whole time, its just much easier if they could be together eventually.

Another reason I asked is since I am wanting to rescue one versus go to a breeder that I'm not going to have as much of a choice and I can be out looking for a while but I wouldn't mind another species if the chance came up.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Two males are not a problem like two females are. It is just a matter of the individual birds.

Matt

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
I kept different species of lovies together, and never had a problem. Well, except that they had babies:eek::eek::eek::hehe::hehe::hehe:

rossoneri

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dr. Ahmed Refat
it would be much easier if u try to keep a male and a female. this way u won't worry about sex quarrel but worry about sex itself. if u don't provide the nest they will not even think about breeding.
On the other hand, if the 2 different species breed they may have "ki
ds", but unfortunately (sterile kids).

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I kept different species of lovies together, and never had a problem. Well, except that they had babies:eek::eek::eek::hehe::hehe::hehe:
Yeah I'm going to try to avoid that :lol:

it would be much easier if u try to keep a male and a female. this way u won't worry about sex quarrel but worry about sex itself. if u don't provide the nest they will not even think about breeding.
On the other hand, if the 2 different species breed they may have "ki
ds", but unfortunately (sterile kids).
This actually isn't true, I personally know a pair of lovebirds that bred successfully without a nest, nest box, anything. They laid eggs right on the floor of the cage, we didn't think they would hatch because she had laid eggs before and they never were fertile. Much to our surprise when we came in to work one morning to find a little baby. She ended up hatching 7 or 8 chicks with no type or nest or anything.

rossoneri

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dr. Ahmed Refat
This actually isn't true, I personally know a pair of lovebirds that bred successfully without a nest, nest box, anything. They laid eggs right on the floor of the cage, we didn't think they would hatch because she had laid eggs before and they never were fertile. Much to our surprise when we came in to work one morning to find a little baby. She ended up hatching 7 or 8 chicks with no type or nest or anything.
As for the birds you know, I didn't know if they would breed without a nest but I think that's possible.
But these chicks that come from different species are the sterile, meaning that the 2 adult will actually breed and produce chicks.But the chicks will never breed in the future, that's what i meant. I said that
but unfortunately (sterile kids).

Last edited:

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
As for the birds you know, I didn't know if they would breed without a nest but I think that's possible.
But these chicks that come from different species are the sterile, meaning that the 2 adult will actually breed and produce chicks.But the chicks will never breed in the future, that's what i meant. I said that
but unfortunately (sterile kids).
I don't want babies period. There are enough irresponsible breeders out there for lovebirds, budgies, and cockatiels. They fill rescues because there are so many needing homes. I could never be selfish enough of a person to allow Bubbles to breed, and succeed with it. So sterile babies or not, I'm not going to be a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.