• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

different diets question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
I'm wondering how to tell which is the best? I'm working on going all home-made for Rydia and myself, but running into questions. There are some like the holistic bird diet that say no more than about 1/4 should be seeds/grains/legumes with most of the rest of that being leafy greens. Then there are others like the feeding feathers yahoo group which say about half should be a legume/grain base and that 1/4 of the rest should be leafy greens, the rest varied veggies and fruits. Who do you trust?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I think it depends on the type of bird some need more protein then others
but do not know for certain:hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Danae, what type of bird/birds do you have?
From that point you see what they need and work within those boundries...I have a number of birds including a Large variety of birds....I feed LIVE fresh foods of veggies/leaf greens/sprouts/fruits/ground flax seeds/with cooked grains in the AM
Giving a mixture of birdy breads with legums pureed and Red Palm Oil in the evening...I have been doing this for years and my birds love it and are very healthy!:hug8:

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
Currently I've got one green cheek conure, though I'm debating on adding a second bird one of these days so she will have someone to talk to while I'm at work(need to make a siggy!) Thank you for the links :)

I know yesterday we had a big bowl full of half soaked/cooked grains and legumes and half mashed up veggies and Ry was in HEAVEN. She's usually so-so with eating her veggies(other than carrots, and the few times I'll get peas or corn) but she wouldn't get her head out of MY bowl so I could eat MY lunch! I had to wait until she was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.