• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Differences between FSL bulbs and mixing light

Status
Not open for further replies.

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
I've been thinking of switching from the two separate 20w 24" fixtures to one 2 40w bulb 48" fixture. The newer fixture would allow better coverage, the two small ones just aren't cutting it.

Would it make a difference to go from a 5550k/93cri bulb to a 5000k/90cri bulb?

Also, is it bad to mix FSL and non-FSL light? I never thought about it before now. The ceiling light has some cheap low wattage candelabra style 6500k (unknown cri) lights.

TIA

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
5000k/90cri bulb is all I use...I also have a room that has candelabra style in it and my shop lights also...you can unscrew the bulb if you want not to run them and the other is hooked into that line...:hug8:

trout

Real Name
Bobby
Thank you,

I'd still like the use the existing ceiling light, it's a good position for me to read :D I was just wondering if it's bad to mix.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I never even considered that!:eek:
I've been merrily using FS + regular daylight flourescents plus some yellowy kind of compact lights
Here are the fs I use

TrueSun.com

BUT they are too high above the cages to be truely effective......but I like to think it helps :lol:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There's no harm in mixing them.

trout

Real Name
Bobby
thanks everyone, I bought the new lights today and started wiring them, just need to hang them and I'll be all set.

I went with 2 commercial 2 bulb F20T12 fixtures and upgraded to electronic ballasts. Also I found the Phillips (5000k/93cri) bulbs cheaper at HomeDepot than the GE ones at Lowes. :D

Last edited:

trout

Real Name
Bobby
Just got them set up tonight and they're wonderful. :D

The old lights didn't hit Keahi's cage at all, he was excited to go back in his cage now. :hehe:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I have 4 shop lights (48") per room for my birds....they have plenty of light and are turned on about 1 hours after sun up and are now going off around 7pm Birds are telling me they want to go to bed when it is dark outside!LOL:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.