• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diet

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
That's a great tip. Paco sometimes gently nibbles my fingers, I think its by accident when I feed him rice. I will just have to find a treat he is bonkers about besides peanuts and egg, which I don't give him. oh,@Imogena I realized don't let Paco play with a plastic bottle or toy and then hand him something, he almost bit me. Sigh the struggle is real....
It is. Edgar is no angel himself. But I can see that he is improving. He reduced his biting a lot. I'm also teaching him to drop things when I ask. The problem is he drops everything I ask during the training session. But when he takes something he shouldn't and I ask him to drop this he suddenly goes deaf. Or he flies away with his trophy. There is a lot to do for us but I'm a patient person.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh that's cute, made me chuckle with that vision of him flying off with a trophy that must be a site. I tried shell less no salt sunflower seeds as a treat, that was a no go. Either I tried it to early after his battle with the bottle and he was in attack mode or not, I dunno. I have left them in his treat bowl and he didn't touch him. He has to be the only parrot I know that doesn't like dried red hot peppers, even my Love Birds liked them. So I'm back to square one trying to find a healthy treat that will motivate him.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
He has to be the only parrot I know that doesn't like dried red hot peppers
Edgar doesn't like those as well. I can sympathise with your problems with treats. Edgar also doesn't like a lot of things that coudl be treats for him. For example no nuts. But I'm really surprised that Paco doesn't like sunflower seeds.
But you mentioned Paco likes cucumber. Could this be a treat?
I also baked cookies for Edgar, they have a little bit of honey instead of sugar, good quality of flour and oil instead of butter. He gets them very seldom and minimum quantity, but I treat them as the last resort when I really want Edgar to go to his cage and he really doesn't want to. Then I offer a crumb of the cookie. Or when he will perform very well on the training session or I'm teaching something really important and I want to reinforce this. In such situation I use cookies.
Maybe Paco would like cookies. Or birdy bread. There are some excellent recepies here on the forum. I tried birdy bread with Edgar but guess what? He didn't like it. But I know a lot of birds love it.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Imogena oh good, I thought I had a weird parrot that doesn't like peppers. I could try cucumbers, its just hard to keep them for very long. Paco does like corn bread, I was giving him Jiffy Mix but found out on here that it has lard in it. I am surprised that Edgar wouldn't like birdie bread, have you tried corn bread?

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I don't know exactly what corn beead is. Is it just bread with corn flour? If so I didn't try it. I baked corn cookies and he didn't like them. Probably because I put some blended vegies in it. I also gave him dry corn crackers but also didn't like them.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oops I'm sorry, I didn't even take into consideration that you are not in the US. We make corn bread to eat with soups and beans. It is bread made with corn meal. I haven't found a recipe that I can make without milk or eggs but I'll keep looking.

Claredools

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Clare
Yeah it takes time I am getting better with her we are making progress thanks
Yes I’m getting better at knowing when she will bite and when to leave her alone ,and I don’t make her do anything she doesn’t want ,it’s definitely got better thanks

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Hopefully @BertAllen will be around soon. He has had Tinker since a baby and he would have great advice. I believe Tinker has flown at him for a good nip. Check out posts under "Tinker is home".
Oh yeah he got me three times this week in the back of my neck. Blood every time! He has ben a total PITA but I think it has to do with hormones. It hurts like the devil and I swer I will choke the little bugger soon.

Claredools

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Clare
Oh yeah he got me three times this week in the back of my neck. Blood every time! He has ben a total PITA but I think it has to do with hormones. It hurts like the devil and I swer I will choke the little bugger soon.
Yeah it kills especially when they hold onto the skin

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh, Paco likes to twist my skin after he has a good pinch on it. Thanks buddy!