• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diet

Claredools

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Clare
Hiya is it normal for African greys to sometimes have watery droppings depending on what she’s eaten?it happenes when she’s had veg .im worried about her diet I need to find some organic seed mix ,the one I e been using isn’t good,I’m from the uk can anyone help

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Yes it is. If I feed Paco cucumber, one of his favorites, his poo will be dark green and water. I'm in the US, so I don't know of any organic seed mixes. There is another forum called the Feather Food Court on here. Have you looked that up?

Claredools

Real Name
Clare
Yes it is. If I feed Paco cucumber, one of his favorites, his poo will be dark green and water. I'm in the US, so I don't know of any organic seed mixes. There is another forum called the Feather Food Court on here. Have you looked that up?
No I haven’t looked at that ,but thanks I will do ,I was just reading some of your posts has paco stopped biting?im having a bit of trouble with that but I’m working on it

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Claredools Oh yes I had a big problem with Paco biting. What is your bird doing? What is his name and some background on him?

Claredools

Real Name
Clare
She’s called lotty she’s 1& half now ,I’ve had her from 5 months ,shes fine most of the time and I’ve been target training her and trick training,she loves being tickled ,she bites sometimes and it kills I’m getting better with her ,working out why she’s biting and understanding her body language,so it is getting better but she nips if she doesn’t want to do something or if I stop her from playing with something she shouldn’t ...her nails need clipping but it’s to stressful at the vets so I’ve been trying to get her used to a towel,I’ve been putting some of her foot toys on a towel and just trying to get her used to the feel of it,although I have t put around her or on her back yet,she just walks on the towel ..., thanks I love it on here it’s so helpful

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
With Paco he was biting when he stepped up from his door and would slam the top of my head when I cleaned his cage. I watched him for days and realized he wouldn't bite if he didn't step up from the top of his cage, but would bit if he was on his door. I had to go back to square one and bribe him with a treat to get in his cage. We have gotten better and I have to be absolutely calm when I pick him up, not in a rush to get out the door. When he does nip I firmly tell him no, don't bite. He is learning. Its a long process. Its good you are target training her. Birds need to learn what is no means. Getting used to toweling is a good idea, Paco is 20 and terrified of a towel, so that will be a long process for him. I don't have as much experience as other folks on here, but I'll tag them and see if they will offer advice. @Hawk12237 @Clueless @Rain Bow @BertAllen

Yes the people here are so helpful and welcome!

Claredools

Real Name
Clare
With Paco he was biting when he stepped up from his door and would slam the top of my head when I cleaned his cage. I watched him for days and realized he wouldn't bite if he didn't step up from the top of his cage, but would bit if he was on his door. I had to go back to square one and bribe him with a treat to get in his cage. We have gotten better and I have to be absolutely calm when I pick him up, not in a rush to get out the door. When he does nip I firmly tell him no, don't bite. He is learning. Its a long process. Its good you are target training her. Birds need to learn what is no means. Getting used to toweling is a good idea, Paco is 20 and terrified of a towel, so that will be a long process for him. I don't have as much experience as other folks on here, but I'll tag them and see if they will offer advice. @Hawk12237 @Clueless @Rain Bow @BertAllen

Yes the people here are so helpful and welcome!
Yeah well she’s only been to the vets twice to have her nails done and it’s far to stressful she pants like a dog,i think the best way is to towel train her incase anything happens so it’s not to scary for her,yeah I’m the same I don’t have a lot of experience either she’s the first parrot I’ve had , Thanks for your help

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
UK online parrot shops:

Scarlett's Parrot Essentials: Scarletts Parrot Essentials - Toys, Cages, Stands and More!
Northern Parrots: https://www.northernparrots.com/
Garden Feathers: Garden Feathers Bird Supplies Garden Feathers Bird Supplies | Poultry Supplies | Cage and Aviary Bird Supplies | Parrot Supplies | Racnig Pigeon Supplies | North East England
Parrot Essentials: Parrot Supplies | Parrot Shop | Parrot Accessories - Parrot Essentials

Seeds aren't a complete food and are deficient in a number of vitamins and minerals. You can try offering a complete pellet food to her diet as well as some seeds, some tree nuts (not peanuts) and fresh vegetables.

Claredools

Real Name
Clare
UK online parrot shops:

Scarlett's Parrot Essentials: Scarletts Parrot Essentials - Toys, Cages, Stands and More!
Northern Parrots: https://www.northernparrots.com/
Garden Feathers: Garden Feathers Bird Supplies Garden Feathers Bird Supplies | Poultry Supplies | Cage and Aviary Bird Supplies | Parrot Supplies | Racnig Pigeon Supplies | North East England
Parrot Essentials: Parrot Supplies | Parrot Shop | Parrot Accessories - Parrot Essentials

Seeds aren't a complete food and are deficient in a number of vitamins and minerals. You can try offering a complete pellet food to her diet as well as some seeds, some tree nuts (not peanuts) and fresh vegetables.
Ok cool thanks,what size portion of seed ?and does it matter when you feed the pellets and veg or would you feed veg on a morning then pellets thru the day?the breeder I got her from told me a seed diet all day but I haven’t because I know that’s not good thanks so much

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Claredools Paco won't eat pellets, when I got him he was fed Hartz Parrot seed, the worse there is. I have him on Higgins Safflower Gold Parrot seed, he is picky and usually eats an almond, there aren't alot of them but he likes the safflower seeds. I give him warm food in the morning an evening, to get him to eat veggies I started out with warm oatmeal, then jasmine rice, and now cauliflower rice. I mix broccoli sprigs in with the rice and cubed frozen carrots, heat for 30 seconds, he likes to be hand fed so I do. He now eats peas and corn, I mix it up, sweet potatoes, apples, pineapple, but he gets his moods, right now not interested in sweet potatoes. When I'm gone during the day I leave him a bowel of seeds and in his goodie cup organic cheerios, some Top's pellets and Zupreem all all natural pellets. He nibbles on them, he is 20 and hard to switch but after a year I am pleased with his progress.

As for the vet, my vet gives them a little gas to calm them down, not much, maybe try another vet? I had an Amazon that was wild caught and she didn't do well at the vet. The one I worked for, the girls knew how to get her with a towel quickly and trim her nails bam done.

Claredools

Real Name
Clare
@Claredools Paco won't eat pellets, when I got him he was fed Hartz Parrot seed, the worse there is. I have him on Higgins Safflower Gold Parrot seed, he is picky and usually eats an almond, there aren't alot of them but he likes the safflower seeds. I give him warm food in the morning an evening, to get him to eat veggies I started out with warm oatmeal, then jasmine rice, and now cauliflower rice. I mix broccoli sprigs in with the rice and cubed frozen carrots, heat for 30 seconds, he likes to be hand fed so I do. He now eats peas and corn, I mix it up, sweet potatoes, apples, pineapple, but he gets his moods, right now not interested in sweet potatoes. When I'm gone during the day I leave him a bowel of seeds and in his goodie cup organic cheerios, some Top's pellets and Zupreem all all natural pellets. He nibbles on them, he is 20 and hard to switch but after a year I am pleased with his progress.

As for the vet, my vet gives them a little gas to calm them down, not much, maybe try another vet? I had an Amazon that was wild caught and she didn't do well at the vet. The one I worked for, the girls knew how to get her with a towel quickly and trim her nails bam done.
Oh right cool thanks,yeah lotty loves sweet potatoe and broccoli ,you’ve done well with paco

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks, Paco and I are still a work in progress, we have made advancements and have our set backs. Yesterday he nailed my arm with a quick pinch when I reached in his cage for his goody cup. I didn't tell him I was going to do that first so I guess he didn't appreciate it. Sounds like you are off to good start with Lotty. Is that her pic on your profile?

Claredools

Real Name
Clare
Thanks, Paco and I are still a work in progress, we have made advancements and have our set backs. Yesterday he nailed my arm with a quick pinch when I reached in his cage for his goody cup. I didn't tell him I was going to do that first so I guess he didn't appreciate it. Sounds like you are off to good start with Lotty. Is that her pic on your profile?

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
In my experience with biting it takes time. Edgar was biting at the beginning. Now he bites very seldom and I can see this comming so I can avoid it most of the time. It took time for me to learn his body language and for Edgar to learn how to explain me that he doesn't want to do something. Now he gives me signals with delicate nipping or with body movement. But it took like a year to get to this point.

Claredools

Real Name
Clare
Hiya yeah that’s her she’s nipped next a few times today while she’s been out ,I feel like I’m doing something wrong ,she even flew to me then nipped me lol ouch

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I forgot to mention, that I do talk to Paco all of the time and keep a routine every day as much as I can. I get his water bowl, fill it up, I show it to him and he grabs the edge with his beak, I tell him when I'm getting his cups out of the cage. Greys are smart. I think you will do great with Lotty.

Claredools

Real Name
Clare
In my experience with biting it takes time. Edgar was biting at the beginning. Now he bites very seldom and I can see this comming so I can avoid it most of the time. It took time for me to learn his body language and for Edgar to learn how to explain me that he doesn't want to do something. Now he gives me signals with delicate nipping or with body movement. But it took like a year to get to this point.
Yeah it takes time I am getting better with her we are making progress thanks

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Edgar did the same. He could fly to me and bite my ear. I started to avoid it and he just grew out of this habit. It took a long time. I tought him to step to my hand from my shoulder and usually he does this. I'm trying to avoid him sitting on my shoulder. I was also teaching him to control his beak. First I was rewarding him for every time he nipped me gently and I was saying him no when he was too strong. Then every time he closed his beak to my hand I was reminding him to be gentle. It was quite funny when I was repeating over and over: Edgar, gently, gently, bird, be delicate.
Now I tought him to touch my hands only with his beak closed. It doesn't work all the time, it is still work in progress, but i can see that is working.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
That's a great tip. Paco sometimes gently nibbles my fingers, I think its by accident when I feed him rice. I will just have to find a treat he is bonkers about besides peanuts and egg, which I don't give him. oh,@Imogena I realized don't let Paco play with a plastic bottle or toy and then hand him something, he almost bit me. Sigh the struggle is real....