• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diet Ratios for Budgies

Farfah

Walking the driveway
I recently took the budgies to the vet and he insisted that they switch to pellets. I've since increased the amount of pellets they eat by limiting seeds but I've heard that pellet only diets are bad for small birds.

Currently, here's what I am feeding my two budgies daily:
1 tablespoon - Seeds (sometimes sprouted seeds)
1/2 tablespoon - Pellets
Approx. 1 tablespoon - Fresh veg

Wondering what ratios you feed your birds? Should I reduce seeds even more? My vet had wanted me to completely eliminate seed and only use as a treat.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm surprised your vet should know this but budgies are granivores,they need sone seed in their diet. Also pellets are too rich in calcium to be the main part of the diet. My experience has taught me 25% seed, 25-35% pellets (depending on activity levels) and the rest in veg. A little fruit occasionally does no harm.
There's no need to be dead accurate with the amounts, you can measure by eye. Also it doesn't have to be perfectly balanced over a day so it's okay to work it out over a week or more - mine are currently going through a veg phase, hardly touching the seed so in a few days I'll reduce the veg they have access to and offer seed in more locations.
It's not science, it's simple common sense (or is it the science of common sense).

Last edited:

Farfah

Walking the driveway
I'm surprised your vet should know this but budgies are granivores,they need sone seed in their diet. Also pellets are too rich in calcium to be the main part of the diet. My experience has taught me 25% seed, 25-35% pellets (depending on activity levels) and the rest in veg. A little fruit occasionally does no harm.
There's no need to be dead accurate with the amounts, you can measure by eye. Also it doesn't have to be perfectly balanced over a day so it's okay to work it out over a week or more - mine are currently going through a veg phase, hardly touching the seed so in a few days I'll reduce the veg they have access to and offer seed in more locations.
It's not science, it's simple common sense (or is it the science of common sense).
Thanks!! I will shift towards those ratios and play it by ear to see how they respond. My vet believes that seeds are "junk food" and aren't required daily. I personally don't entirely believe that so I will continue to feed some seed.

My birds don't like fruit for some crazy reason. Have yet to find a fruit that they enjoy. However, they did eat a bunch of fresh basil for the first time today and now they smell delicious lol