• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diet question, when is too much too much?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

I did 25 minutes at 400 in muffins, it takes longer in a bread pan, and I lowered it to 385 for another ten minutes so it wouldn't burn the outside. It will be harder to get a good bake the more veggies you add, but I could have added more greens instead of chunky veggies easily.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I meant measurements for the bread recipe LOL. What is a caittec cookie? I didn't know you could use pam spray. He lives hard boiled eggs and I was giving him one every Sunday and then read CAGs shouldn't eat eggs. I want to try sprouts, tried the grocery store beans, they won't sprout grrrr.
Sorry, I'll be making birdy bread soon once I get Miss Danita's Harrison's bread mix. These are the Caitec cookies. You can get them @ pet stores too. That's where I got them 1st. I don't like the new ingredients in them as much as the old ones. Hopefully Buddy will eat these too... & love them just as much. I will not know until he tries the ones I bought after he finishes tge ones I have. Time will tell....

The price @ Danita's was in US $ equivilated to the box pet stores before shipping... I already needed other stuff from her. @Love My Zons (Claire) carries them too in her storefront.

She's in the US & she does do flat rate envelopes for small orders.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Hawk12237 No way is Paco going to accept a spoon, Mr. Scary cat. I will try the mix and make into balls. He isn't really bad about making "soup" in his water bowl but sometimes he does make it dirty, I do change his water 2 or 3 times a day. He likes apples thinly sliced. I agree, presentation is where its at.

I have to remind myself this guy has had a rough life of 19 years.

With all of the advise and support here, we have created an amazing bond, we have more work to do, I just love this guy like nobody knows other then us "beak freaks"

:loveit::loveit:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Interesting info about why they like their food wet. I'll try wetter food too in addition to making my own pellets/balls.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I make several types of bread also, but use applesauce instead of oil or milk for my moisture.
The banana nut I make is with wheat flour, I can mix it up with cornmeal too when I make veggie bread.
Add anything healthy into it in the form of pureed veggies/fruit.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I make several types of bread also, but use applesauce instead of oil or milk for my moisture.
The banana nut I make is with wheat flour, I can mix it up with cornmeal too when I make veggie bread.
Add anything healthy into it in the form of pureed veggies/fruit.
Pureed is the way to go....seems to hold together better.
My birds would discard anything that fell apart and that they couldn't hold with their feet.
They would pick it up, mine fell apart first couple times, and they would drop it to bottom of cage, walk away and look at me like.... " ok, try cooking that again" !!! Lol.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pureed is the way to go....seems to hold together better.
My birds would discard anything that fell apart and that they couldn't hold with their feet.
They would pick it up, mine fell apart first couple times, and they would drop it to bottom of cage, walk away and look at me like.... " ok, try cooking that again" !!! Lol.
They are funny like that aren't they? Buddy doesnt like those dried blueberries they put in stuff. He'll go for tgem & rip them outta whatever he's eating & throw them on the floor, (very methodic & intentionally). Then he'll Eat it once he makes it debre free. I wonder how the bread will go over here because of that.

JoJoFLA

Checking out the neighborhood
Great info Thanks all,
The fear of spoons and sticks seems to be common JoJo also likes to dip his pellets in his water. I read elsewhere to think of them as toddlers in terms of their diet

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Great info Thanks all,
The fear of spoons and sticks seems to be common JoJo also likes to dip his pellets in his water. I read elsewhere to think of them as toddlers in terms of their diet
Birds are actually pretty good cooks....they make delicious bird food soup in their water dish. Campbell's and progresso couldn't come close to it. Lol..!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well he is now addicted to broccoli, cubed carrots, Jasmine rice and cauliflower rice. I try to mix it up and give him sweet potato, but now he tosses his fave, cucumbers. The journey continues....

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
This las month Tinker has decided he likes Brussels sprouts if I take the dark layers off. I always take the dark layers off for myself as they are bitter so now he gets them twice a week with me.
I warm them in the microwave.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buddy seems to be into beans this week. I bought snap peas but he's just not having them. Peas are just wee inside, he doesn't do much w/ the outside! :feedm:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
oh so its normal for them to go on binges?
Yep and then not eat them for weeks.
I quit giving Tinker kidney beans right now because he was tossing them. For the last few months he gobbled them right up in the morning.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Right? I thought I was going insane, Paco loved this and that and then, nope I'm dropping it on the floor. Wow glad I have a "normal' parrot, LOL.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I'm currently offering Chirp zupreem pellet mash with a crumbled senior nuriberry, kale, chard, carrot. Plus some other goodies suggested by his vet. I make it really wet, Chirp can only have mash because of his beak injury. He seems to at least eat a tiny bit of the veggies. The other day I made another batch of chop (which I'll start feeding when Chirp finishes the current batch), which has kale, chard, dandelion greens, carrot and baby broccoli (just the florets). I also made him some quinoa sprouts, those are in the freezer with the chop.