• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIET HELP: first time GCC owner.

birdq

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
Hi y’all! I’m going to (potentially) purchase an adult male green cheek conure today. I’ve been in touch with the breeder and he seems like a good fit. Of course, only an in person meeting will tell for sure. However, I’d like to be prepared should I decide to add him to the family.

He’d on a mostly pelleted diet with occasional fresh fruits and veggies. I’d like to know if that is suitable, and if not then what would be best? I may be wrong, but I feel like fresh food should be daily.

He is around 5 years old, seems to be in good health and at a decent weight, but his feathers aren’t quite as shiny as they could be. What would be an ideal diet for a conure of his age/condition?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Pellets, daily veggies, a bit of fruit and a bit of healthy seeds for treats. :)

Do you know what pellets he's on?

birdq

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
Pellets, daily veggies, a bit of fruit and a bit of healthy seeds for treats. :)

Do you know what pellets he's on?
No, I forgot to ask what brand! Do you have any recommendations for a good quality brand? And about how much of each thing should I feed every day? I don’t want to over feed or underfeed.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No, I forgot to ask what brand! Do you have any recommendations for a good quality brand? And about how much of each thing should I feed every day? I don’t want to over feed or underfeed.
Ideally you want a pellet without sugar or dyes, however they can be super picky so whatever they are eating is usually fine.

Amounts are going to vary by person. For me green cheek she ate about 1 tbsp of pellets, 1-2 tbsp of chop, and 1/4 tsp of seeds a day. They'll eat 10 to 20% of their body weight every day, but most birds don't over eat.

I prefer to offer dry foods in foraging toys vs free feeding.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Be sure to ask the person what they are currently feeding this bird and share that info with us.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The pellets he is currently eating is a good starting point to keep him feeding.

birdq

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
Be sure to ask the person what they are currently feeding this bird and share that info with us.
I asked, he said he feeds a custom mix of seeds and pellets, and greens twice a week

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I asked, he said he feeds a custom mix of seeds and pellets, and greens twice a week
Can you enquire what brand the pellets in the custom mix are? Maybe explain you are keen to keep feeding the bird what it is used to so to do that you will need to know what it is that is being fed.
My breeder sent me home with two bags of the pellets he was feeding and made sure I knew to feed veggies etc

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
For me, it’s disappointing they don’t seem to want to tell you the brand name of pellets he’s feeding. Additionally it would be nice if he could give a sample packet of his seed blend and some pellets when you take the bird home. It makes me suspicious of his honesty in what he’s feeding. Even if your intent is to switch the brand of pellets… ideally you would make a gradual change by mixing the current pellets with what you would choose to change the diet over to. This bird is going to have a big enough change in environment to adjust to. Pellets are the bulk of my conures diets along with varied vegetables every single day. They’re lucky to get a teaspoon of seed on a daily basis…. And that’s at the end of the day when I’m changing papers for all birds. If you haven’t gone to see this bird yet… at least ask to see the pellets and the seed mix… and take a photo of each and explain you want to keep the same diet during his transition to a new home. Use your best judgement on this seller to provide how he’s been cared for nutritionally.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's possible the seller just isn't getting too far into details until adoption is more concrete :)

Lori:D

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zoe
Ye I agree with everyone else
Maybe also look into chop?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you enquire what brand the pellets in the custom mix are? Maybe explain you are keen to keep feeding the bird what it is used to so to do that you will need to know what it is that is being fed.
My breeder sent me home with two bags of the pellets he was feeding and made sure I knew to feed veggies etc
Neither of my conures where feeding on pellets when i got them but the breeder gave me about a months worth of the seed he was feeding and a list of the fresh he was feeding.

birdq

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
For me, it’s disappointing they don’t seem to want to tell you the brand name of pellets he’s feeding. Additionally it would be nice if he could give a sample packet of his seed blend and some pellets when you take the bird home. It makes me suspicious of his honesty in what he’s feeding. Even if your intent is to switch the brand of pellets… ideally you would make a gradual change by mixing the current pellets with what you would choose to change the diet over to. This bird is going to have a big enough change in environment to adjust to. Pellets are the bulk of my conures diets along with varied vegetables every single day. They’re lucky to get a teaspoon of seed on a daily basis…. And that’s at the end of the day when I’m changing papers for all birds. If you haven’t gone to see this bird yet… at least ask to see the pellets and the seed mix… and take a photo of each and explain you want to keep the same diet during his transition to a new home. Use your best judgement on this seller to provide how he’s been cared for nutritionally.
I went to see the bird and the seller told me he is on zupreem cockatiel pellets I believe (the breeder mainly keeps cockatiels) and a basic seed/fruit/nut mix that I can’t remember the exact brand of but he showed me the bag and I THINK I bought the matching mix when I went to the pet store yesterday. He also said he gets kale twice a week and green apples every few days as a treat.