• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diet Help - Also opinions on Bird Tricks youtube?

aDORYble

Strolling the yard
Hello all,

Lately, my conure's diet hasn't been the greatest. A bit of a result of this quarantine - she begged and I allowed her to have too much human food, and now she's even pickier and more persistent than before. Although she loves fruits, I've always had issues feeding her veg or pellets. I can get her to have one or two, and a few bites of cucumber or carrot, but otherwise she refuses and will bite me if I put it on her plate. And she will not eat if she doesn't want to; I can feel her keel bone, so usually I'm so concerned about getting food into her that I'll cave and allow her to have bits of toast. Any advice on encouraging her to eat her pellets and vegetables?

I found a video on youtube from a channel called bird tricks - she was talking about this book she came out with regarding a healthy parrot diet. I wanted to ask if anyone here is familiar with that YouTuber, and if so do you think her courses or books are worth it. They tend to be on the expensive side, but if it really works I wouldn't mind.

Thanks in advance!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
No they are overpriced and charge you for information and content that is usually free- they’re also not bird experts in any way whatsoever.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

aDORYble

Strolling the yard
No they are overpriced and charge you for information and content that is usually free- they’re also not bird experts in any way whatsoever.
Oh gosh, thanks for letting me know.

Thanks for this! I love how it’s all organized to be easy To refer to and understand!

KonaBird

Strolling the yard
I actually bought the BirdTricks cookbooks. Although the main book has some good information and a lot of cute and creative recipes, I ended up returning them since they weren’t really what I was looking for. The recipes show various ways to serve fruits and vegetables to help entice a bird to try new foods. My green cheek was already eating fruits and vegetables so I didn’t really need the recipes, but it seems like they may help you since many of them resemble human food. However, one thing I didn’t like about the cookbooks was the use of a few questionable ingredients like olives, smart balance, various cheeses, and garlic. Other than that the ingredients all seemed safe. I probably won’t buy any more of BirdTricks’ products, but I do like their YouTube channel.