• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Diet for Kidney care?

Brenda_H

Meeting neighbors
Our GCC suffered a terrible accident 2 weeks ago and damaged all but two of her kidney lobes. We are nursing her the rest of the way through her recovery at home but I wasn't given any instruction in her diet. when my husband picked her up, he was told a low protein diet and not to give her citrusy fruits and other things that may be hard on kidneys. Our vet didn't seem to know how to elaborate this to me over the phone, so I thought someone on here who has some experience with renal failure/disease could help me look into a diet that's easy on her kidneys while she continues to heal. Anyone know what a low protein diet entails? What shouldn't I feed her? Any diet advice is wonderful!

Attachments

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I don't know, but the Medical Center for Birds, in Oakley CA would probably be able to help. Look them up online and send an email or call.

Brenda_H

Meeting neighbors
I don't know, but the Medical Center for Birds, in Oakley CA would probably be able to help. Look them up online and send an email or call.
Thank you! Have you ever had any experience with them? I sent an email. I will follow up tomorrow on the phone if I don't hear back. Sadly, she sees a bird only avian clinic, but they are one of 2 clinics in the state that specializes in avian care, small and so overwhelmed right now that it is difficult to get anyone on the phone and when you do they are pretty rushed.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Protein foods and foods with potassium are not kidney friendly. Example would be melons and eggs.

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
I hope your baby feels better. She is lucky to have such caring owners :)

Here is a list of low protein foods List of Low Protein Foods - dietaryfiberfood.com

I would be very wary of pellets in general as they have high levels of protein that is already too much on the kidneys for the smaller species of birds. You can look at the protein percentage at the back of a bag of parrot food; pellets or seeds. But I would stay away from pellets, all the pellet brands have a high amount of protein.

Brenda_H

Meeting neighbors
@MahaSarah Thank you so much for the list! She is expected to go on with her kidneys working at 1/3 their capacity for the rest of her life so all this info is so important to us. Thanks!

Anyone else have any avian friends with chronic kidney disease? What do you feed them?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Hankmacaw can you help or point her in a direction to learn?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm not up to snuff on kidney diseases, other than a bird with compromised kidneys needs a lower protein diet. Proteins are larger and more difficult for the kidneys to process. You should stay away from animal protein completely because they are larger and much more difficult for the kidney to process. Take heart though - my brother lived 50 years with only 1/4 of his kidneys functioning.

Her is an article by Dr. Lafeber abut nutrition for kidneys, in birds, that you should read and follow. Dr. Laferber is one of the very best parrot nutritionists around. he does mention the value of Omega 3 and that can be provided readily with Red Palm Oil . I have used this brand for years and have been very happy with it
Amazon.com : Avitech AviGlo Organic Red Dende Palm Oil 4 oz : Adult Bird Food : Pet Supplies

Nutritional Management of Renal Disease in Birds | LafeberVet

Greencheek Lee

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Thank you! Have you ever had any experience with them? I sent an email. I will follow up tomorrow on the phone if I don't hear back. Sadly, she sees a bird only avian clinic, but they are one of 2 clinics in the state that specializes in avian care, small and so overwhelmed right now that it is difficult to get anyone on the phone and when you do they are pretty rushed.
I take my boys there now. Dr Spear is well known, they have 4 other doctors there all Avian vets and very knowledgeable. There was another vet in the area and when she ran into questions she called there for assistance so now that my YSGCC is getting older I take him there. Many years ago I had a parakeet that was getting prolapsed after laying eggs, they were the only ones who would consider surgery on such a little girl...luckily it didn't come to that but they are really focused on quality of life.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
We've had a good experience with Roudybush Kidney formula. It requires a vet Rx but it did help us get out girl healed up enough to stop with her uric acid meds. She was in a cute kidney failure in December 2014, but made it through and was on meds every 12 hours for almost three years.

Another thing to try and exclude from the diet is oxalates. There's lists of low-oxalate food on the internet if you search for them. Oxalates can be hard on the kidney. And avoid any vitamin D supplement! Birds are very sensitive to vitamin D hypervitaminosis which damages their kidneys. Give sunshine time instead. :)

Here's an old post I wrote on converting her to pellets... which needed to happen as quickly as possible to help her kidneys:

We recently faced a similar situation. Rhubarb was diagnosed with ABV. She doesn't have any symptoms of PDD (yet, hopefully ever, though she does have kidney issues). She actually really liked her birdy bread but was still a hard to get onto pellets. She's now on Roudybush AV for diminished kidney function.

It took almost a month for her to start eating them regularly. At first I gave her whole pellets mixed with seed. She ignored them and they got covered in seed hulls. Then I ran some pellets through the blender (dry) and then mixed the resulting meal half and half with seeds. She was smart enough to just push away the pellet powder... So I added some water. Then the seeds were embedded in a pellet mash. At first she picked the seeds out of the mash very carefully... And throughly earned the nickname "food beard." Eventually she nibbled the mash as well. After a couple weeks I started offering dry pellets in the same dish, but to the side of the mash and seeds. One day she tried them and suddenly seemed to prefer dry pellets to digging through the wet stuff for a bit of millet or canary grass.

Now she gets her pellets right in front of her face, at her favorite perch. She also gets a bit of seed mixed with her fresh food every morning, but she has to climb to reach it. Being a lazy bird, she is pretty good about eating her pellets now.

I hope this helps. ABV is a scary thing and my heart goes out to you as you care for your little one.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I recently found out my kidney function is only 45 percent. I imagine it would be the same sort of diet for a bird. As written proteins, salt, potassium and foods with phosphorous, ash make the kidneys work harder for filtration. Those are the main ones I can think of now.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
FYI. Roudybush makes a prescription food for birds with kidney disease. It's called formula AK renal care.

Roudybush Direct