• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diet Change for Picky Budgies?

GoldenAves

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Luciano (Luc)
I've been trying to change my birds' diet for a while, and they have really not liked anything veggies or fruit related.
I tried eating with them, using it as treats, and even sprinkled some in their seeds but they will not touch it, they will even go as far as dropping the food on the ground to reach seeds.
I tried adding pellets to their diet too, but they didn't like the pellet brand.

I'm looking for some pellet brands as of now along with tips to get them to eat veggies and fruits, so anything would be a great help to try out.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
@Mizzely has some amazing articles :D
Pellets
Chop

What pellet brand you use depends on your birds (Whatever they eat :laugh:)

Some good pellet brands are:
Harrison
Zupreem
Roudybush(What my birds like)
Tops (They provide samples)
Higgins

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Try the Lafeber Tropical Fruit pellets....it has dried mango, papaya, and pineapple in the pellet (they can't just pick out the fruit). It's fairly new and, after receiving a sample pack, I was surprised that my caiques liked the pellets! I received a Foraging Fun Pack from Lafeber...that's were I got the sample. My local Petco and Petsmart don't carry this particular pellet, so I order it either direct from the company or from Amazon.com.
What species of birds do you have?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've always had good luck with Zupreem for seed only eaters.

Here is the best thread for diet conversion tips :)

Winn

Jogging around the block
So far as veggies go, different birds like different consistencies. Some won't touch chopped veggies but like to shred chunks or whole wet leaves. Others like chop but aren't interested in bigger pieces. Maybe try offering different sized pieces to see if there is something they prefer.
I'm still struggling with getting mine to eat pellets, so I can't offer much insight there. Some of my birds will eat pellets a little, but they seem to be more interested in them as a "scattering toy".