• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diet and Eating Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Hi guys, this is my first post so I'm hoping you guys will have some ideas that I don't.

I just recently adopted a 4 yr old cockatiel. Beautiful bird but... The original owner only fed it seed. I was finally able to mix the pellet that I feed my ringneck in with my cockatiel's food and get him to eat that with the seed. He eats seed/pellet mix fine now but except for millet he won't eat treats.

I want to get him eating fruits and veggies but it's wracking my mind On what to do. I've tried birdie bread, just putting the veggies down in the morning when he usually eats, mixed it in with his food, and then just tried giving him a piece from me in general. None of it works, I put it in his food bowl daily but he doesn't eat it. I've also tried a separate bowl. This has been going on for a couple of months. What else should I do? Or should I just keep trying like I am?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
well for one thing it is not necessary to convert to pellets...tiels are one of the birds that in fact, pellets are not recommended for as they are mostly seed eaters in the wild...however, that being said, do not even attempt fruits..tiels are not big fruit eaters period. try mincing the veggies very finely...along with brown rice..they also like scrambled eggs...just keep trying ..also birdie bread is a good option.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks guys, I was putting about 20%-25% pellets in his food with the seed but if it's not necessary or could be doing more harm I'll take them out. I'll stick to just veggies and try some other methods mentioned. Persistence and patience has to pay off, so we hope ;). I appreciate the suggestions.

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
They're not going to do harm at that amount, and it will insure the bird gets missing vitamins and minerals that a wild bird would have access to... that a caged bird doesnt.

You might also try freeze dried (not the same as dehydrated). Some birds dont like wet foods, they prefer dry and crunchy. Try Just Tomatoes brand mixed veggies.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Technically, pellets can be just as bad as seeds. Having said that, since the creation of pellets, and people feeding their birds pellets, vet hospitals have been seeing more and more healthy birds vs sick ones due to malnutrition.

Short and simple though, if you can't provide a varied diet that includes seeds, sprouts, grains, legumes veggies and some fruits, then pellets should be a part of the diet. Once again, if you can't provide a great variety in the right ratios, fed often enough, feed pellets.

For the smaller guys, pellets should make up 25-50% of the diet, where-as many of the medium to larger species can handle 50% or more of the diet as pellets.

My tiels get fruits as well as veggies, among other fresh foods. Fruits just don't happen to be a large part of the diet, and its mixed in with the other foods.. well, more like the fruits are made into a "fruit juice" (aka blended in a food processor), and added to all the other ingredients.

Status
Not open for further replies.