• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Didn't Quarantine New Green Cheek?

GreenCheekies

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nicole
I've got a new baby green cheek who I've known for a few months now. I got him from a very nice pet store where I got my first green cheek from about a year ago. The people at the pet store said I didn't need to quarantine my new green cheek because he's been diseased tested and so has my original green cheek. I was relieved because quarantining would be difficult if not impossible at my house. I brought the baby home tonight now that he's been weaned and they are in the same room. I'm reading now that quarantine is really important and I'm scared I made a mistake with my green cheeks. Should I be worried?

I should note that when I've visited my new green cheek over the past few months I neglected to change my clothes before interacting with my original green cheek.

I feel like a bad bird owner :(

Last edited:

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
You do realize that anyone who walks into a store could potentially carry on them a disease from their own birds and that stuff is left in the store that you bring home to your own birds?

Anyone selling you anything wants to make a sale and so will tell you anything to keep that sale.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Your not a bad owner and your not the only one who has done this ...from now on do everything for your first bird first and make sure you wash in between doing for your second bird ...make sure you get your new bird checked out by a vet right away and that way you know for sure it is healthy ...don't let them out together for the next 60 days and if you can keep them on separate sides of the room that would be best ..and that's the best you can do if you cant move your new one into another room and start quarantine its never to late :)

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Welcome to the forum. Glad you are reading & getting some good information.

Its good both your birds were disease tested but they don't test for everything & there is a chance of contact with
people from the store who have birds. Do they test every bird in that store? It only takes one sick bird to spread infection. Even if its unlikely either have a disease it is advisable to take safety precautions as mentioned above.
Don't let the birds closely interact. If you can't keep them in separate rooms keep there cages as far apart as possible.
Wash your hands between contact with the birds.

Hopefully they are both OK

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
Good luck. I hope the above measures will keep them both safe. You are not a bad bird owner. You've identified the issue and can now go about minimizing the risk to your birds.

GreenCheekies

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nicole
Thanks everyone for your help! I greatly appreciate it. I'm minimizing their contact for now and I'm taking my new bird to the vet on Wednesday morning to make sure everything is okay. I will explain the situation to the vet as well and see what her advice is for me. Thanks again!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When you take your bird to the vet, have them disease test him again. The four major diseases - psittacosis, PBFD, Pacheo's, polyoma.