• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Did I just kill one of my chickens?

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Had a droopy hen for the last two days. I brought her inside the house at night to keep warm. She would not eat, but did drink quite a bit. Yesterday, it seemed like she was a bit more lively.

Today seemed like a set back. While bringing her in for tonight, I noticed she had a bit of food in her crop. Old food? I'm not sure. I gently massaged it. She burped a couple times, and then just died.

:(

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i am so sorry for your loss only an avian vet can tell how your friend died

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
:(

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
Thanks, guys. I know that, but thought....maybe there is something to massaging the crop that could make a hen aspirate the contents...or something. However, she didn't choke, or struggle. She burped and promptly died.

Just odd. I thought of cutting her open, but I'm not even sure where the problem would be found. I've butchered plenty, and know what a healthy one looks like inside. Didn't want to do it. Sentimental, I know.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Do you free range? Could she have eaten something that got stuck? I had a chicken do something similar once and when we cut her open she had been eating sand. The best I could figure is she wandered over to the kids sand box and was picking at things in there. None of my other chickens died so I assumed everyone else stayed out of the sand.
Sorry for your loss, hopefully it was a fluke thing and your other ladies stay healthy! :sadhug2:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:sorrow:
I am very sorry for your loss.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I doubt massaging her gently would have killed her. She was obviously already quite ill if she wasn't eating. I'm sorry you lost her. :sadhug2:

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
I didn't feel anything unusual in the crop, just some grain. It wasn't full. They free range within the yard. I have an solar charged Electronet pen for them, but while that's always been sufficient to keep every other flock I've had in, this batch is flighty. I have to coax two or three back inside the fence every time I feed. They have gotten themselves into trouble. One hen found her way into a storage area and broke a glass bowl. That may have been the hen that died - maybe broken glass. They are all pretty much identical, so I don't know.

I've thought of clipping wings, but that could also make them more vulnerable. These are Silver Dorkings. They have a venerable history, and are very pretty birds. Nevertheless, I don't think I'll order that breed again.

Thanks again, everyone.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry :sorrow:

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
It was most likely sour crop, when a blockage in the crop leads to the hen not being able to eat or drink. Don't worry, it was not your fault and she would of died soon anyway:(

If this ever happens again, gently turn the chicken upside down and massage the crop, every day. The chicken will through up all the food she's eaten, and hopefully whatever's causing the blockage as well. Feeding yogurt also helps.

I once had a chicken with sour crop. She didn't survive either:( I'm so sorry for your loss:sad11:

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
oh no i'm sorry to hear that, well you were very kind in taking care of her so nicely