• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diamond doves able to eat finch and budgie pellets?

Jogging around the block
Hi all, sorry if I did not post this in the right place or make some mistakes, it is my first time here :wacky:

I have 2 budgies , 3 canaries and 3 zebra finches in one large cage atm. I have 3 Diamond doves in a separate cage. I have plans to build a large indoor aviary (too cold outside here) and would like to add in the Diamond doves.
The mixed species cage is currently on 1/3 budgie seed mix , 1/3 finch seed mix and 1/3 Vetafarm Finch and Budgie Crumbles. I hope to convert them slowly onto 100% pellets, they aren't seeming to eat much of the crumbles at the moment but I have seen the zebra finches chewing them up, they seem to like them. This is not all their diet, they eat lots of greens (mainly leafy greens and safe garden weeds) or at least the finches and canaries do, this would make up about 30-40% or what they eat. But the budgies on the other hand don't seem to touch the greens, I put them on the bottom of the cage, do the budgies not like to fly down and eat them? I have seen them do this once or twice but they seemed tense about being on the ground. I also give them a egg and biscuit wet mix every now and then, they all love it.

My diamond doves are on mostly finch seed mix at the moment, do doves do better on seed or is pellets good for them too? I have not seen any pellet mixes made for doves at my pet store. They were very young when I got them, didn't really know how to eat seeds. They are very good at eating now thankfully. I have been trying desperately to get them to eat more greens but they don't seem very good at actually eating them. They can't chew apple/carrot/broccoli like the finches and parrots, I think because of the difference in beak shape but I do not know? They do love their collard greens, good at eating spinach, cos/roman lettuce and safe garden weeds but this would only make up about 10% of their diet, they all go crazy on it when I put it in but then lose interest, they even find it a bit difficult to eat this.
I am just a bit unsure of if the doves will be able to eat the finch and budgie crumble? Will it be okay for them? Any advice on all these questions is very appreciated , I know there's quite a few questions sorry :shy:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They can eat some pellets, but like finches they are granivores, so the bulk of the diet should be seeds.

Also- diamond doves need grit, unlike most of our birds.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Welcome to the Avenue!
Budgies are also granivores and need some seeds in their diet, don’t cut them out entirely.
@Sodapop&Co. may be able to help.

Jogging around the block
Thanks for the responses :) I will keep alot of seeds too for them then, just some pellets too. Yes I have heard that about the doves, are baked eggshells or oyster grit from the pet store better? I have mainly been giving baked, crushed up eggshells as most of the oyster shells in my store are a bit big for them to get down, I suppose I could just crushed it up more though.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks for the responses :) I will keep alot of seeds too for them then, just some pellets too. Yes I have heard that about the doves, are baked eggshells or oyster grit from the pet store better? I have mainly been giving baked, crushed up eggshells as most of the oyster shells in my store are a bit big for them to get down, I suppose I could just crushed it up more though.
I use both. I grind the oyster shell in my nutribullet, it’s almost a powder.

Jogging around the block
I use both. I grind the oyster shell in my nutribullet, it’s almost a powder.
Ahh okay, I didn't think of that. I have been grinding/crushing most things with a hammer while it's in a plastic bag :hilarious:, but blending them would be much more efficient.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Good advice. I'd say the same; mainly seeds, some pellets, and of course veggies. I don't have Diamonds but I think they're pretty tiny so finch-sized pellets should be good.