• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diamond Dove pair question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJHartmann

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dylan
To all diamond dove owners.
I've had Romeo for the longest of all my birds, for 6 months by himself before I found a female for him. In this period he became a lot less wild but never 'connected' with me or became fully tame. When I first brought Laila into our place I had her in a separate cage for a few weeks then let them out together. Since the beginning he's always deemed her as a threat I guess because constantly tries to peck her, on the head, neck, back, toes, anywhere where she is vulnerable. This hostility has lessened over time, and they are now sharing a cage ok, but Romeo is not sexually interested in her, and she just gives in to his domestic violence, laying on her belly, head down, waiting for it to stop. I've thought to myself maybe it could be that she hasn't completely matured yet, can tell because her coo isn't quite as pronounced as his, or could be that she is a brown hybrid and he is a light blue/silver, or could be that he's still trying to be territorial as the cage their in was his to start with. Back in the early weeks when I first had them together he would also rape her, but this has stopped and although he does bow coo sometimes, he finishes the act while still standing on his perch, nowhere near her. So, I'm really quite confused as to what to do! She's been broken, beaten and abused in a non-loving relationship and he would rather coo to his reflection than to her! Any ideas?

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
i would try separting them for awile then reintoroducing them

Status
Not open for further replies.