• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

diagnosing

animalover

Jogging around the block
need help with ruling down some diseases my birds might have.

ill list their symptoms along with what it might be

MILO- 8-9m old - male - cockatiel -64 grams
symptoms-
-weight loss/lost 10g over a month
-tired most of the day, not fluffed up/never fluffed up
-not too active(only active for an hour or 2)
-malnutrition(?)

-change in poop=not ordered
diarrhea(straight one color liquid)(aprox 4-5 days)
undigested(Only once, one seed husk found)
clumpy watery poo with black specs(looks like a blended kiwi perhaps)(happening for about a week)
constipation(1month+) still happens every now and then(happened today with most of his poops)
elastic webby poo(all of it, not just Urates) (its been happening for a month now)

was treated before for respiratory infection symptoms(not tested) 0.03 ml baytril 1x per day for 10 days, got a bit better a few weeks after medication was over.

TWEETY- age unknown, younger than a year- male - budgie - weight unknown
symptoms-
-fluffed up(sometimes)
-tired compared to female mate
-breathing more rapid in comparison to female(slight tail bobbing)
-sometimes watery poop
-not as vocal as mate
-sneezing(10+ times per day)

never treated

both get vitamins mixed with food everyday

tweety eats - 70% seeds 30% pellets - gets chop 2x a week or so
milo eats - seeds, seed mix+millet - has pellets which he eats occasionally but only a couple of pieces- gets powdered formula over food.
what's bothering me is that a seed diet would make him fatter instead he's losing weight.

ive been researching their symptoms for a while, I narrowed it down to AGY or an infection for milo, and possibly a respiratory infection of some sort for tweety. also I think it might be something infectious, I had another cockatiel before milo from the same place I got him from(Long story) died in a week and was severely malnourished.

hopefully by the end of this week we could take them both to the vet to get tested.

I just wanted to see what you guys think it might be, I will be showing my notes to the vet when I do go.

thanks in advance!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would just go to your vet with this information instead of letting untrained people on the internet speculate.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You're taking good notes - keep it up! This kind of information is very useful for a vet. I think you should try to take them in as soon as you can - the weight loss is concerning.

None of us here have the expertise to diagnose your birds, and it is seriously unethical for us to do so. A vet will need to physically examine your birds and may need to take samples of poo and swabs from their crop in order to give you a diagnosis. We can't do that. We're not vets, we can't examine your birds, and we can't perform the necessary tests.

animalover

Jogging around the block
thank you everyone, i just wanted to see if maybe someone found these symptoms familiar or something. I know none of you are vets but thank you still! :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Also, do you like your vet and think that he/she is thorough? You can always try a different vet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are any number of things that could be going on. Good that you are planning on taking them to the vet.

Jusgetinby

Meeting neighbors
I don't know either but when my Kakashi was sick the vet was first treating him with a medication for a bacterial infection, after test came back week later, he tested positive for Megabacteriosis and she switched the medication. The important thing my vet said to me about him losing weight, is to let him eat whatever he wants, and when I feed him with syringe check his crop to make sure it not full before I feed him. I agree with my vet if a bird is sick, calorie intake is important and keeping the bird hydrated with fluids. I Pray your birds get well soon.

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
You need to visit a vet who will run proper tests, I don’t like when they just guess and prescribe medicine :( decent ones in Dubai are in Two feet four paws Dubai Land (I believe his name is dr.Chris) and Advanced petcare Al Wasl road (dr.Piotr-I prefer him, really cares about all animals). Both clinics are not cheap, but you need to at least rule out serious infections, they’ll suggest the tests according to your birds’ symptoms. And btw, they’ll all have to get treated when you find the reason :) hope this helps. If doctor will find it feasible to test only one bird and treat others the same; maybe this could also be an option

animalover

Jogging around the block
Also, do you like your vet and think that he/she is thorough? You can always try a different vet.
I dont really like the vet too much, I might actually see a different one
You need to visit a vet who will run proper tests, I don’t like when they just guess and prescribe medicine :( decent ones in Dubai are in Two feet four paws Dubai Land (I believe his name is dr.Chris) and Advanced petcare Al Wasl road (dr.Piotr-I prefer him, really cares about all animals). Both clinics are not cheap, but you need to at least rule out serious infections, they’ll suggest the tests according to your birds’ symptoms. And btw, they’ll all have to get treated when you find the reason :) hope this helps. If doctor will find it feasible to test only one bird and treat others the same; maybe this could also be an option
I went to dr.piotr before for my hamster but never for my birds, the vet that I was going to will cost 1600 for the tests, to be honest I cant go over that limit, did u get tests at both places? because when I went to dr.piotr I only paid 5 for the whole visit, even the consultation, I might talk to my mother and see if she can help me out a bit with the money, thank you this was very helpful! :)

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
I dont really like the vet too much, I might actually see a different one

I went to dr.piotr before for my hamster but never for my birds, the vet that I was going to will cost 1600 for the tests, to be honest I cant go over that limit, did u get tests at both places? because when I went to dr.piotr I only paid 5 for the whole visit, even the consultation, I might talk to my mother and see if she can help me out a bit with the money, thank you this was very helpful! :)
Which tests did the vet suggest you?
I haven’t run any tests with Dr.Piotr yet cause i found him later, just general consultations and nail trimming, which btw he does himself in front of me, so this makes me feel safe for my birds. In two feet four paws the nurses do nail trimming and take the birds to another room, but you can still hear them screaming (btw it’s more expensive here). I’ve done it twice with them and every time I receive choking, scared birds that don’t move for another hour or so..so i’m never going there again for the nail trimming. But tests are a little cheaper than advanced pet care.
When I got Momo in July, dr.Chris checked feces in-house, blood,performed x-ray and we sent feces (collected over a period of days) to rule out Chlamydia,blood for pbfd and some other test if i’m not mistaken. Momo was perfectly fine, this was all done to make sure she’s healthy and free of any infections, so I could safely introduce her to Walad and Zazu, and they both were tested for the above mentioned before as well :) this all I believe cost me around 2500 dhs for Momo, but not necessarily you might need all these tests, the vet will suggest based on the symptoms. Also the price includes sedation to be able to perform x-ray and gather blood without stressing out the bird

animalover

Jogging around the block
Which tests did the vet suggest you?
I haven’t run any tests with Dr.Piotr yet cause i found him later, just general consultations and nail trimming, which btw he does himself in front of me, so this makes me feel safe for my birds. In two feet four paws the nurses do nail trimming and take the birds to another room, but you can still hear them screaming (btw it’s more expensive here). I’ve done it twice with them and every time I receive choking, scared birds that don’t move for another hour or so..so i’m never going there again for the nail trimming. But tests are a little cheaper than advanced pet care.
When I got Momo in July, dr.Chris checked feces in-house, blood,performed x-ray and we sent feces (collected over a period of days) to rule out Chlamydia,blood for pbfd and some other test if i’m not mistaken. Momo was perfectly fine, this was all done to make sure she’s healthy and free of any infections, so I could safely introduce her to Walad and Zazu, and they both were tested for the above mentioned before as well :) this all I believe cost me around 2500 dhs for Momo, but not necessarily you might need all these tests, the vet will suggest based on the symptoms. Also the price includes sedation to be able to perform x-ray and gather blood without stressing out the bird
they suggested, blood panel, "chlamydia test" I asked for a fecal smear, 1600 for this.

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
they suggested, blood panel, "chlamydia test" I asked for a fecal smear, 1600 for this.
I suggest you to take the birds for initial consultation with dr.Piotr and see what he suggests, one bird consultation is around 100 dhs, maybe you can start from there and see what he offers you along with the prices for tests/procedures.

animalover

Jogging around the block
I guess I could, milo started displaying more serious symptoms, so I want to take him as soon as possible.

animalover

Jogging around the block
we are taking him on Saturday, but I wanted to ask you guys something, his poop smells really weird, like it isnt a stinky rotten smell its like really strong kind of smells like really really concentrated caramel or something like that, idk how to describe it sorry. does that mean something? I'm almost certain he has a yeast infection from his symptoms but I wont know until I get the tests done.

animalover

Jogging around the block
let me rephrase that, first time I smelled it, to me it smelled like sweet bread, but concentrated.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds like some sort of an infection, and it’s good your going to the vet. Has he gained any weight? If you can go before Saturday that would be best. I would make sure that appropriate tests are run to determine exactly what kind of infection he has, and exactly what type of meds are needed to help. If I remember correctly, the last time he was on meds this wasn’t done, and I don’t think he ever got tested to see if his infection was ever cleared up. Are you going to the same vet? Don’t be afraid to ask questions and speak up for Milo. I hope everything goes well and that he will be okay!

animalover

Jogging around the block
It sounds like some sort of an infection, and it’s good your going to the vet. Has he gained any weight? If you can go before Saturday that would be best. I would make sure that appropriate tests are run to determine exactly what kind of infection he has, and exactly what type of meds are needed to help. If I remember correctly, the last time he was on meds this wasn’t done, and I don’t think he ever got tested to see if his infection was ever cleared up. Are you going to the same vet? Don’t be afraid to ask questions and speak up for Milo. I hope everything goes well and that he will be okay!
yep its a different vet, hes not going to come in until Saturday, also this vet wont be the testing because I will be taking both milo and tweety, testing will hopefully be next week, I know I keep pushing it farther and farther away but a lot of new things happened that caught me off track, thank you so much for all the help!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
let me rephrase that, first time I smelled it, to me it smelled like sweet bread, but concentrated.
Overgrowth of yeast, maybe, which still requires a vet and meds.