• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Diagnosed with yeast infection

susieZiggy

Moving in
Real Name
Sue Yungwirth
My 21 year old male umbrella cockatoo, who has a long history of prolapse, was recently diagnosed with a yeast infection because I noticed a change in his stool consistency. He had a CT scan done as well as lab and stool culture. The only diagnosis was yeast infection and " possible proventricular disease" which they will explore after the yeast infection is cleared up. He has had a significant loss of appetite and is slightly lethargic, but he is normally a pretty quiet boy anyway. The prolapse has had surgery several times and I have been told that there isn't anything else they can do for that. We manage that daily with bottom baths and lots of paper towels. He is an extremely picky eater and will only eat when he's spoon fed.. so we feed him a mash of pellets and water when we eat..
He is currently on Nystatin 3 times a day, but his appetite is really poor right now, and he is loosing weight quick..
I'm really concerned about him
Any suggestions or thoughts?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Aww, poor bird. I'll tag some people regarding the health issues. As for food, he won't even eat some nuts? Cashews or almonds? Maybe if he likes soft foods try some mashed sweet potato?

@Hankmacaw ? @Macawnutz ? @Mizzely ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Perhaps some almond butter on a spoon? Mixed with some mash sweet potatoes? It is good he is at least eating the mash; will he eat it out of a bowl to save your hand a bit?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can blend almost anything into the mash. The almond butter or tofu are good ways to get lots of protein into him. So are beans. Refrain from feeding him anything with sugar as long as he ahs a fungus infection - fungus thrives on sugars. He may not be digesting food due to the fungicide killing his natural digestive flora. I suggest he be given probiotics daily.

How long has he been on the nystatin?

susieZiggy

Moving in
Real Name
Sue Yungwirth
Thanks for the replies.Zighy does eat peanut butter, and frozen, cooked corn, and mashed potatoes off my plate... sometimes he will eat some fresh broccoli and coliflower, and carrots, and fruits (strawberries, blueberries, melons, and pineapple).. but it is always off my plate and not very much at a time

susieZiggy

Moving in
Real Name
Sue Yungwirth
You can blend almost anything into the mash. The almond butter or tofu are good ways to get lots of protein into him. So are beans. Refrain from feeding him anything with sugar as long as he ahs a fungus infection - fungus thrives on sugars. He may not be digesting food due to the fungicide killing his natural digestive flora. I suggest he be given probiotics daily.

He has been on the Nystatin 2 weeks tomorrow, but I have not seen his poop return to normal yet.

susieZiggy

Moving in
Real Name
Sue Yungwirth

Can you please recommend what probiotics I should be giving him? I have a return follow up with the vet next week.. should he have them before that?

susieZiggy

Moving in
Real Name
Sue Yungwirth
Anything
Perhaps some almond butter on a spoon? Mixed with some mash sweet potatoes? It is good he is at least eating the mash; will he eat it out of a bowl to save your hand a bit?
Anything put in a bowl immediately gets thrown out..as if he is saying.."I do not eat that way!!"..ya, he is a bit spoiled too..

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear about your guy.

I would be inclined to cut sweetcorn from the mix - it can be difficult for them to digest. And as @Hankmacaw says, take out the fruit. The sugars in them are feeding the yeast.

Something I do to persuade Leia to eat is to cut up some veg into small pieces and serve it on a plate. I eat a piece, she eats a piece. Parrots often do like eating with their flock and may feel more comfortable trying new things if you're also eating. The key thing is to not get any of your saliva near him - our saliva contains bacteria that is dangerous for birds.

Will he eat something like birdie bread? You can add things like tofu and egg to the mix to bump up the protein content.