• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diagnosed with Avian Gastric Yeast

cricketiel

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dana
My 2 year old cockatiel was just diagnosed with avian gastric yeast (AGY) and started on 0.2 mL of Amp B every 12 hours for 10 days, but I am still worried. Reading about this disease is quite scary, and I am really at a loss of what to do. Is there a possibility that this could be another disease, like PDD or ABV? She was diagnosed with AGY by a gram stain, but I don't know if this could co-occur or be just one symptom of a larger disease like PDD or ABV. That could be a totally ridiculous concern, but I have seen some mention of it and am concerned. Probably TMI, but her cloaca seems to invert a bit when she poops as well. Could this be a sign of something bigger, or does this go along with AGY? Are there any benefits of getting further tests/X-rays even though she has already been diagnosed with AGY?

In relation to AGY itself, how do you know when it has been cured? I plan to get her another gram stain at the end of her treatment, but can it come back afterwards? If it doesn't appear in the gram stain, does that mean it's truly gone? Is there anything I can do to help her through treatment? She is screaming nonstop and flying and not lethargic as of now, would it be beneficial for me to keep her calmer and more relaxed as she fights this? Does nutrition impact recovery (i.e. is there anything in particular that I should be feeding her right now?)

Any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I am so worried for her :sad3:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Macawnutz

It is highly unlikely that PDD is involved in any way. With ABV that is less certain since 30% of th eintire bird population have the ABV virus. The presence of ABV DOES NOT mean that there is any illness or disease present.

Hopefully Macawnutz can answer your other questions - she has had extensive experience with AGY.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
From being a member of this forum for so many years I can tell you that AGY is very common in smaller birds. We actually see it very often. I would treat it as your doctor prescribes and do follow up tests on several occasions to make sure it's gone.

My experience was with my baby macaw and that is uncommon. Most likely caused by the consistent infections we were fighting and the prolonged antibiotics we were on.

I would not search for other illness. I would fight what you have and go from there. It is much more common for AGY to be misdiagnosed as ABV then the other way around. They see the AGY rods in the gram stains, they are unmistakable. :)